"It's just terrible," Hagrid growled as we walked. "All this new security and kids are still getting hurt. I know Dumbledore's worried sick. He doesn't say much, but I can tell."

"He doesn't have any ideas?" Hermione asked desperately. "Nothing at all?"

"I suspect he's got hundreds," Hagrid replied. "But he doesn't know who sent that necklace or poisoned that wine, or they would have been caught already. That's what worries me. I mean, how long can Hogwarts stay open if kids are getting attacked?"

"It's like the Chamber of Secrets all over again," I said.

"Exactly," Hagrid said with a nod. "Soon enough, there'll be more panicking, more parents taking their kids out, and before you know it, the school will be closed."

"Would they really?" Hermione asked, worry evident in her voice.

"You've got to see it from their perspective. It's a risk sending your kids so far away... and they can get murdered? No wonder Dumbledore's angry with Snape—"

"Dumbledore's angry with Snape?" I asked quickly.

Hagrid froze for a moment, shock spreading across his face. "I didn't say that. You lot should really be getting to bed... it's so late—"

"Hagrid, why is Dumbledore angry with Snape?" Harry asked loudly.

"Shhh!" he shushed, looking around in agony. "Don't yell!"

"What did Snape do?" I pressed.

"I didn't mean to hear it!" Hagrid groaned. "I was walking out of the forest when I heard them arguing. I tried not to listen, but they were furious and it wasn't easy to block out."

"But what did they say?" I asked.

"Snape said Dumbledore took too much for granted and that maybe he—Snape—didn't want to do it anymore."

"Do what?"

"I don't know... it sounded like Snape was feeling overworked. Dumbledore flat out told him he had promised to do it. And then he said something about Snape's investigations in Slytherin, but before you start with that, all the Heads of Houses were asked to look into that necklace business," he warned, shooting us a warning glare.

"Yeah, but Dumbledore's not having rows with the rest of them, is he?" Harry said.

"Look, I know what you think about Snape, but you can't go reading into this when we don't know what it is. Now get to bed before Filch sees you."

I wasn't in a particularly good mood the next morning, especially since I was awakened at six o'clock in the morning by Faye, who said Cormac McLaggen was pacing the common room asking for me.

"What the hell do you want at this hour?" I groaned.

"That's a great question," Harry said, appearing from the other side of the room. "McLaggen—"

"I saw them taking Weasley up to the hospital wing earlier. It didn't look like he'll be fit for next week's match," he said, staring at us with wide eyes.

"Did you wake me up to ask if you could play this week?" I asked, clenching my fists.

"Well, is he going to be fit for the match?"

"Well, no—"

"Then that means I'll be playing Keeper, doesn't it?" he said. "And I should be made aware so I can rearrange my schedule accordingly. It's kind of rude that you didn't tell me until right now."

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said dryly. "I'm sorry I forgot about you while my best friend almost died."

"But I'm playing—"