Failed Day of Duty (w/ Author's Note)

~~~~𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐥𝐲 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐬𝐭~~~~

"Never, EVER, trust 'em gingers, Sugah."

A little girl with brightly curious eyes and a dumbfounded smile listened attentively to her dear auntie's ranting.

The topic her aunt was discussing involved gingers and their intentions. The young girl sat there, mystified by the entirety of the one-sided discussion, yet she felt the need to at least affirm to her dear aunt that she was still listening.

"Why not?" The little girl asked. Despite the absurdity of the topic, it didn't surprise her since her aunt loved conversing about strange and often outlandish topics to begin with, a habit the young girl may or may not have picked up herself.

"Cause, sweetie," her auntie sat next to her on the porch bench, her caramel colored eyes peering at her fondly, "the next thing you know, they're kissing up a storm with your cousin."

"Tina, shut the hell up," the little girl's mother put a pause to her sister's rant as she opened the screen door leading onto the porch. In her hand was a readily-made plate of home cooked food.

"You got some nerve talking trash about redheads when that's all who you were dating." The girl's mother handed her the deliciously-looking plate of her favorite meal while simultaneously exposing her sister. "I bet you if Mama was here, she'd be quick to drop the names of 'em."

Indulging in her plate of homemade food, the young girl watched as her mother and auntie bickered back and forth. The topic they argued over had shifted from gingers to who had the better dating spree in their younger years.

"Either way, Hun," Tina held up her hand in front of her sister's face—her sister playfully smacking it away while giving the stink eye—as she faced her little niece,"they're a sneaky bunch."

"Keep yo guard up around them." She patted her niece's head, the little girl relishing the affectionate action.

Auntie's words echoed in my head, her voice lingering with that tinge of a homey, country-like accent she grew up with. Mother had that same accent too, but it only ever showed when she was angry with someone, a trait I took after her.

I never took Aunt Tina's words too seriously (as with most of her bizarre ranting sessions) since mom outed Tina's own days of dating gingers herself.

Who would've guessed that one of these days her rants would actually bear some weight.

"Myah!?" Grim yelled out in surprise, he too not expecting Ace's sudden switch up.

The boy in question laughed at our dumbfounded expressions to the point of wheezing his lungs out.

Grim and I glared at him, both of us feeling mutual hatred for the laughing jerk.

"I can't hold it back anymore!" he continued his mockful laughter, not once letting up.

My tolerance bar for him speedily hit the negatives to where I silently prayed he would choke on his own spit.

"Come on, you're the ones who turned orientation into such a fiasco, right?" He somehow managed to ask through his giggle fit.

"The first chick summoned by the Dark Mirror who can't even use magic and the monster no one summoned at all." Ace continued his mockery of us. "It took everything I had not to burst out laughing in the middle of the ceremony!"