Chapter 1

"You can't catch me!" I yelled from atop my horse.

          "You underestimate me, Princess!" Rhys yelled running behind me. 

          We were having one of our usual bets. This time Rhys said he could outrun my horse, Maeve. 

          I slowed my horse to a stop when we came up onto a river. "I won!" I yelled while looking back to see an out-of-breath, Rhys. 

          "Damnit! I really thought I had it this time," Rhys exclaimed. He looked up at me through his sweaty brown hair, panting.  

          "Now you owe me an extra riding lesson," I stated smugly. 

           "Whatever you say, Princess," Rhys stated helping me off Maeve. 

           Ever since Rhys has worked in the horse stables since I was 10 we have always been best friends. It's always just been my dad and the servants in the castle, I never had someone close to my age. Though Rhys was 4 years older than me it always felt like we were the same age. Though we were close no one knew about our friendship except for the older stableman who watched over Rhys. We're now 8 years older than when we first met and we keep getting closer. 

          We walked to our favorite tree on the outskirts of the kingdom. This is where we always talked about what was troubling us this week and what has been going great. "My father wants me to start looking for a husband," I exclaimed flopping down against the tree. 

          "It can't be too bad," Rhys said looking into me with his chocolate color eyes. 

           "Oh, it can be. All those princes trying to show off who can be a better husband and treating me like I'm some kind of prize to win. I just want to fall in love and live happily like my parents did."

          "I'm sure you'll find a prince who will treat you right and maybe you can learn to love each other," Rhys stated while tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. 

          "Maybe you're right," I said looking down to my hands toiling with my skirts. 

          "I know, I'm always right," he stated smugly as he watched me smirking. 

          "Oh, you are so annoying. How am I still friends with you," I exasperated smacking his arm and getting up to walk through more of the woods. 

          "Because you looooove me," Rhys stated grabbing me into a big bear hug. 

          "Ugh, as if!" I said getting out of his tight embrace. Only to look back at his face and see the pout on his face that makes me laugh.

          We spent the next couple hours laying on the ground looking up watching the clouds move while we inform each other on how our week's have gone. 

          "Well, I better get back to the castle before father comes looking for me," I said solemnly. I started to stand but before I knew it Rhys had hoped up and put out his arm to help me stand. 

          "Until next week, Princess," Rhys said bowing and then helping me get onto Maeve. 

          "We've been over this Rhys, you can just call me Lia."

          "Whatever you say Princess," Rhys said beaming up at me. 

           I just rolled my eyes and steered Maeve to go back to the castle, turning back to Rhys to wave goodbye before he got out of sight. 

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Nov 15, 2023 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Whispers of Deceptionजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें