You had cried a little when he had given up trying to get you to talk to him, pressing a kiss to your temple anyway before leaving you alone in your room again.

He had respected your need for distance from him, even if you really just wanted him to hug you and repeat all those comforting words of love to you like he used to before Tomura and the others were always so busy.
He would still drop the odd kiss on your head, ruffle your hair and pet your cheek softly occasionally even though you were ignoring him, which had slowly made you feel more as though he was telling the truth, and within three days, you had decided to make up with him.

You knock on the door to his new room politely like he had told you to, too.
He opens the door after a couple of moments of you waiting, half dressed and looking confused until he sees you at the door.

"Starshine. You okay?" He asks, his expression softening immediately.

"I'm sorry." You announce, holding out a canvas towards him.

He blinks, before looking down at the canvas in your hands, smiling as he reaches for it.
You had painted a silly little picture of you and Dabi as cats, his favourite animal, both of them curled up in the shape of a heart.

"You're so clever, my little Star." He says, shaking his head in disbelief. "Thanks. I'll put it up here by the bed."

He crouches, reaching his arms out to ask for a hug, a request you're more than eager to oblige. You launch yourself into his arms, wrapping your arms around his neck.

"I'm sorry!" You repeat, a little more desperately this time, your lip wobbling.

"Shh. S' fine Starshine, but can we talk about it?" He asks, gently peeling away from you to look at you properly, moving your hair out of your face.

"Are you mad?" You ask, gauging whether he was going to tell you off or not.

He shakes his head. "No, but we need t' talk it out. Otherwise we'll both keep feelin' bad in here."

He pokes your chest bone gently, a soft look on his face.

"Okay." You agree reluctantly.

"Attagirl." Dabi ruffles your hair. "C'mon, we can talk in here."

He opens the door wider for you to enter, grabbing a white shirt from the dresser by the door and yanking it over his head swiftly, picking up the canvas once more and placing it on one of the bedside tables.
You blink in awe when you see he has several of your drawings and scribbles taped up to the white, still slightly dusty wall.

"I put this one in the bin." You point at a drawing you hated with a scowl, turning to look at him.

"A waste." He grins. "You're not the only dumpster diver here, kiddo."

You blush at the reference to how he found you, unable to imagine eating food out of a bin now.
He rubs his knuckles against your head playfully as he sits at the edge of the bed that was way bigger than yours.

"Sit." He encourages, patting the space next to him.

You plop next to him, the bed bouncing a little.
He wraps an arm around your shoulders, leaning his head against yours. It was nice to feel the warmth of his embrace once again.

"M' sorry too." He apologises, his voice quieter than usual. "I kinda just sprung it on you. I shoulda given you some time... maybe eased you into it, but..."

He pauses, rubbing his stapled cheek against your head.

"Thing is, my lil' princess, we were runnin' outta money, an' the hotel was crazy expensive. Tomura an' the others found this place and it's a little cheaper for us all to live here. I wasn't there when they found it, so it was news to me, too."