12 - Cinderella Slip-Up

"Y/N." Seojin's voice made her tracks, taking her by surprise as she turned to face him. His deep, penetrating gaze bore into her, causing her to look away. She didn't think he would be there.

"What?" Looking down at her feet, she could feel he brother's presence even without looking directly at him. When she raised her head to look at him, his eyes held a vulnerability that she rarely saw. 

"Can we talk?" His question made her shift uncomfortably, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "I won't force you. But I want us to have an honest conversation. There are things between us that we've left unresolved for too long."

Y/N took a deep breath, wondering if a conversation was what she needed after her encounter with Jake. She had grown used to the familiar pattern of avoiding difficult conversations with Seojin, letting the wounds fester beneath the surface. But now, his sincerity was disarming, and she found herself nodding.

"Okay," she replied, her voice barely audible. "Let's talk."

The two of them walked along the quiet path that lead to the beach, the gentle sound of waves crashing against the shore creating a calming rhythm in the background. "You came to the party to have fun... why would you ruin it by having a conversation with me."

"A conversation with you wouldn't ruin anything. It's something I need to do, for my own peace of mind," Seojin said, his gaze fixed on the horizon as they walked side by side. "We're family, after all." 

The words made her heart skip a beat. "Family." She repeated and he nodded, his steps slowing as they continued their stroll along the moonlit shore. "I never thought that one day you'd acknowledge me as... your sister." 

Seojin let out a soft sigh, his shoulders relaxing slightly. "I know I'm the worst brother someone could have. The first time my parents told me that they were going to adopt you, I was terrified and angry. I felt like my place in the family was being threatened, and I hated you for it. So instead of welcoming you, I pushed you away thinking that if you saw how much I hate you, you'd eventually give up trying to be a part of our family."

Y/N smiled faintly, recalling Areum's words. "I remember my first day in your house... how you pulled my hair and told me I was only a guest and not a real part of the family. That hurt a lot, you know? But I never hated you for it. I only wondered why you hated me so much."

"I know. I was really cruel and immature," Seojin admitted, shaking his head in disappointment.

Y/N's gaze softened as she looked at him. "We were both hurting in our own ways back then. It's not an excuse, but it helps me understand why things happened the way they did."

"Yeah," He sighed. "But understanding the reasons doesn't change the fact that I treated you horribly. I'm truly sorry about everything."

Her smile grew and her eyes glistened. "Thank you for saying that, Seojin. It means a lot." They quietly sat down on the sand, letting the waves gently wash over their feet. 

Seojin ran his fingers through the sand, his gaze on the water. "I've missed out on so much. All those years of not really knowing you, not being a real brother to you."

"But we have the chance now. We have the present and the future. And we can make the most of it."

"What do brothers usually do with their sisters?" He paused, making her smile. 

"Support and protect them?" She hummed, deep in thought. "Annoy them a little?"

He smiled. "That's one way to put it. But I can handle the supporting and protecting part. I've been going to the gym. Look at my arms." He flexed his muscles playfully, causing Y/N to burst into laughter. "Wait a minute. I always wondered if you wrote about me in your books. Please tell me you didn't make me the villain in any of your stories."

"Well, I would say I was inspired." She chuckled, making him raise an eyebrow in mock suspicion.

"That means you made me some very handsome hero, right?" He leaned back, his hands supporting him as he stretched out on the sand, looking up at the sky. "I just realized I have an amazing sister."

Y/N's cheeks warmed at his words, and she let out a soft laugh. "You're not so bad yourself, you know. Mom is going to be surprised, in a good way of course. She probably thinks we're still arguing." He nodded at that and they fell into a comfortable silence. "How's the vacation?"

"I thought it would be relaxing but it's only stressing." She sighed, her shoulders slumping. "So many unexpected things happened." 

"Like me coming here out of nowhere?" He tilted his head, a playful grin tugging at his lips. Y/N thought that his arrival would be the beginning of yet another disagreement, but instead, it turned into something she had been waiting for, even if she hadn't realized it until now. She met his gaze, her smile soft and genuine. 

"Actually, your surprise visit turned out to be one of the best unexpected things. I'm glad we had this conversation. I'm talking about someone else."

"Who? One of the three people I met on the beach earlier?" He watched as she looked down and let out a heavy sigh. She wondered if Jake talked to Heran about what happened, if he'd believe her, the annoying neighbor, over his childhood friend who was secretly in love with him. 

"It's just... there's tension between us. But I like to think everything would work out eventually." She said and he nudged her shoulder, making her look up.

"Well, now you have a brother to share things with, you know?" She just rolled her eyes at that and slightly splashed some water at him. "Wait, if you were there to party, why were you leaving?"

She shrugged. "It just didn't feel right for me, you know? The whole scene wasn't my vibe."

"What about Areum?" Y/N watched as he looked away and scratched the back of his head, trying to hide his embarrassment. Ever since the two of them met, he always asked about her thinking that he was subtle, but it was his feelings for her were anything but. Y/N also felt bad for him because Areum wasn't really into him that way.

"She's still in the party. I should call her." She mumbled, reaching for her phone before she dialed her number and held the phone to her ear. "Hey, it's me."

"Shit, Y/N, where are you?" Areum on the other line didn't sound... okay. 

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" Y/N's voice was filled with concern, and she exchanged a worried glance with Seojin. Areum's tone sounded distressed and far from the lively spirit that Y/N was used to hearing.

"Uhm... I twisted my ankle and I'm at the hospital with Sunghoon and Jake." Areum's voice trembled through the phone, making Y/N widen her eyes and stand up, pulling Seojin with her as they both ran through the sand, their shoes forgotten on the beach.