Chapter 9 - Confessions and Catastrophes

Hermione didn't seem to look much better at breakfast the following morning. Ron remained more confused about this situation than anything else, but out of respect for their friendship, he didn't ask where the conversation had gone after his departure. The trio sat silently, eating their breakfast, searching for some impetus for a conversation.

"So, what's on the schedule today?" Ron asked, looking at both of them timidly.

"Double Defense Against the Dark Arts and Charms," Hermione muttered, without looking up from her toast and jam.

"We've got Quidditch practice this afternoon as well," Harry added, trying to encourage the conversation. Being the oldest and most experienced player on the team, he had been unanimously elected captain this year.

With the exception of a period last year, Harry had been the seeker for the Gryffindor house team. Ginny, who had replaced him as seeker, made no secret that she was happy he had returned to his old position. She had taken over one of the three vacant chaser positions. Andrew Kirke and Jack Sloper replaced Fred and George after their (now legendary) departure from Hogwarts, and Ron - who had replaced Oliver Wood-remained the keeper this year. A second and third year student filled the remaining two chaser positions which had been vacated by the graduation of Katie Bell and Alicia Spinnet. Overall, their season had progressed well.

Gryffindor was the current Quidditch Cup champion team and Harry had fought hard to maintain that distinction during the fall term. As it stood now, they were in second place, behind Ravenclaw, but well within striking distance of claiming the title again.

Both Ron and Harry continued to muse over Quidditch through the end of breakfast. If it was possible, Harry thought Hermione became less talkative by the end of breakfast than she had been at the beginning. However, given the fact the conversation revolved entirely around the broomstick-mounted wizards' sport, neither Harry nor Ron were surprised Hermione hadn't spoken.

They sauntered into Tonks' classroom and walked toward the front. Harry followed Hermione and sat down at a table with her, while Ron managed to pull up a chair with Neville Longbottom.

It seemed obvious from the supplies set before them that the class was continuing their study of telekinesis. The same wrought iron stand sat squarely on the table with a small fluffy pillow perched atop. Harry was excited to begin. He'd actually felt he'd made some progress in this subject. He'd moved from staring blankly at the pillow to watching it flop onto the table. Others in his class had made little to no progress at all. Amazingly, of all the students in class, Neville managed to move the object first. Harry wasn't sure what shocked Neville more, the 25 points Tonks had awarded Gryffindor house when the pillow fell from the stand, or the fact members of the D.A. were asking Neville to teach them how to do it. Either way, it warmed Harry's heart. Neville had really started coming into his own this year and he was happy to see his confidence improve.

Outside the doorway, the students were startled by a crash. While most thought it was Peeves on another rampage, Harry smiled inwardly. He had the feeling class was about to start. Sure enough, the door swung open and Tonks limped into the classroom.

"Good morning class!" Tonks chirped, brushing off her cloak at the knees. She was sporting a short and spiky aquamarine hairdo and stumbled toward the front of the class. She had completely stopped apologizing for her clumsiness last November. By that point, the class had taken to laying a hand or two on whatever personal belongings were perched on their table as she instructed the class. This phenomenon was not lost on Tonks, but it didn't seem to bother her either. She began the class by teaching them a few new mind-relaxing techniques and then set them off on their telekinesis practicals.

Harry and Hermione sat, staring blankly, at the small pillow for several minutes. Truth be told, Harry wasn't concentrating at all - at least not on the pillow. Tonight was the night he was going to start Occlumency with Hermione and he wanted to test his ability in Legilimency. While she stared at the pillow, he was actually focusing all his attention on her.