Promised Land

The pain in your chest returns as you gaze back at the octoling, "Agent 8," as the inkling said. They hold their gaze on you the entire way there, only breaking eye contact as you stop at A05 to be let off the metro. You clutch your chest and notice your hand shaking; What was wrong with you? You watch out the windows as Agent 8 picked out the Splattershot to use for the test, gracefully stepping over piles of sanitized ink that had been spilled all over the platform and deep-sea jellyfish who were collecting abandoned test outfits. Agent 8 paid the fee and began the test, running forward into the fog. You watched breathlessly, straining your neck to try and watch before a loud ping sounded, startling you. Turning towards the map, you saw G06/A01 was lit up once more. You slowly started up the metro before shaking your head and moving at a faster pace.

"Distracted...Am I not cut out for this job?" You wonder to yourself. You look back at the testing ground; Agent 8 was long gone. "No, I'm merely getting used to this...environment. I've never seen it." You nod at your flimsy reasoning and speed towards G06/A01, beating your chest to try and end the odd pain.

Pulling up to G06/A01, you open the doors and allow the original set of test subjects on. You notice there are significantly less of them and all have sullen looks on their face. You laugh a little as you watch a pair of deep-sea jellyfish carry sets of test outfits onboard, absolutely splattered with ink. As the remaining octolings let out mournful cries, you watch a ping appear at A02 and began to set the destination.

"Now they realize how the weak have no place in this world." You mutter, starting the engine. You think back to the machine you were operating just before this metro driving gig and smile at the image of the ooze being processed. "And if they're strong, they will contribute to the development of this world." Your mind suddenly jumps back to Agent 8; What would become of them should they prove to be as strong as they look?

The metro halts at A02 and the test subjects file out, quieter and faster this time, as you blink in confusion. Agent 8? Why do you care so much about what happens to them? The outcome will be nothing but progress; Your chest hurts once more. Slamming your hands on the control panel, you breathe in and out and finally relax. No sooner once you do does a ping appear at A05.

"...that's..!" You stare before quickly tapping the location and pushing the lever, nearly going over the limit as the metro shot off down the tracks. Your chest really starts aching as you pull into the station and see no one there, only to relax as Agent 8 pops out of the fog while happily holding an odd-looking trinket. Agent 8's CQ-80 lights up and you overhear C.Q Cumber's voice play.

"Congratulations...you passed your first test. By the way, you received this memento when you finished. It's called a mem cake. Mem cakes are formed by compressing memories into physical form..." You stopped listening as a ping at A02 attracts your attention. Heading over, the group of octolings from before have been reduced to two and they step onto the metro quietly.  You step up to the glass and watch as Agent 8 introduces themself as the older inkling talks quickly with a phone. 

 "OK, you two...THAT'S ENOUGH!" a voice from the phone says; The entire car goes quiet. "Mr. Cuttlefish, was it? And you're with three octolings?" 

"That's right! Agent 8 and...Agent 7 and 6 are all octolings. We're trapped somewhere and we don't know where we are." The inkling, Mr. Cuttlefish, responds. The phone jumps.

"Well, just hang tight then! Off The Hook is here to help!" A jingle plays. "MC_Princess 'n DJ_ Hyperfresh in the house! We'll get you outta there!"

"Anyone who loves rapping is a friend of mine!" Mr. Cuttlefish fistpumps, then turns to the octolings. "Alright, Agents! It's time to pass some tests and make our way to the promised land!" 

Your view is suddenly darkened as you look up to meet Agent 8's eyes. This time, they are right up against the glass with both hands on it, staring directly at you; You're too frozen to move and simply stare back. They look at you with curiosity and tilted their head before giving you a small smile. Your chest really begins to ache now but you find yourself unable to look away. The two of you continue making eye contact before two pings sound out and you turn; A03/B01 is lit up and you manage to force yourself to move to the controls, ignoring the curious stare you could feel looking at you all the way there.

Arriving, you hear Mr. Cuttlefish wish all of the agents luck as the doors open; A small notification pops up and you open it.

"End Of Metro Hours Approaching. Escort All Testers To Central Station ASAP. 1 Hour Remains"

You sigh and turn towards the window; Agent 8 is still looking at you as they step off the metro.

══•●•══

You breathed an odd sigh of relief as Agent 8 pushed the 8-Ball into the goal and superjumped back to the platform, receiving a mem cake of an Octarian with odd colorings. The agents high five one another, and Agents 6 and 7 seem way happier than before.

"They moved on quick." You scoffed, beginning to drive the metro towards Central Station. You could vaguely hear conversation as Mr. Cuttlefish spoke to the other agents; You dared not turn as you felt that familiar stare again. As the metro pulled into Central Station, you noticed a group of sea angels, escorts, standing by the station. The doors opened and they offered their...limbs...out to the agents.

"Hang on now, what is this?!" Mr. Cuttlefish exclaimed, wary. One of the angels pulled out a CQ-40 and played the recording on the small device. 

"All test participants must halt their testings in the late hours of the facility. They will be escorted to holding chambers where they will stay until testing hours resume." 

You watch as the agents are led to the tester cells, Agent 8 insisted that Mr. Cuttlefish go with them, and waited until the platform was empty before opening the door to the metro cars and stepping onto the Central Station platform. You sat by the phone until you heard familiar footsteps coming from the beginning of the subway. 

Captain 65 emerges from the darkness and beckons you to follow her.