Story 2 | The Message On The Wall

True Story

Place of Origin: Karnataka, Karwar

Lakshmi Bai sat on the porch of her lone tiled house, a weary smile playing on her lips as she watched her nephew, Ajay, frolic in the yard.

"Careful, Ajay! Don't run too fast," Lakshmi Bai called out, her voice filled with love and concern.Ajay laughed and twirled around, his small face glowing with happiness. 

"Aunty, look at me! I'm flying like a bird!"Lakshmi Bai chuckled, her heart filled with joy at the sight of Ajay's innocent delight. 

He was the only ray of sunshine in her life, a source of joy amidst the darkness that surrounded her. Her husband's alcoholism had extinguished the spark in her eyes, leaving her disinterested and disheartened.

The brief two-month leave her husband took from the army each year brought a mix of emotions. While his return meant moments of companionship, it also meant enduring the storm of his alcoholic tantrums that shattered the tranquility of their home. The remaining ten months of the year, when he was away, offered temporary relief from the chaos, providing a respite from his addiction.

The memory of her daughter's marriage remained a source of solace for Lakshmi Bai . It was the one true happiness she had experienced, seeing her daughter find love and security within a good family. The thought of her daughter's well-being brought a warm glow to her heart, reminding her that there were brighter moments in life to hold onto.

Their lone tiled house stood amidst a vast, dry farm. Majestic mango trees created a natural barrier, obscuring the views beyond. Frequent power cuts added to their struggles, leaving them in darkness for hours on end. Apart from gazing at the road that meandered through the farm, there was little else to distract Lakshmi Bai from the monotony and hardships of her life.

However, when Ajay came to visit, a newfound energy filled their humble abode. Their time together was filled with laughter and play, creating pockets of joy within the confines of their home. Lakshmi Bai devoted herself to showering Ajay with love and attention, cherishing every moment they shared.

As Lakshmi Bai was engrossed in playing with Ajay at the entrance of the house, her attention fully captured by their joyful interaction, she failed to notice the beggar slipping into the compound. It was only when the beggar's voice, tinged with an unnerving tone, pierced through the air that Lakshmi Bai's senses jolted back to reality.

To be continued ...