Chapter 2:

Jane:

Jane Salem was a name that everyone knew.

Jane worked alone, and she certainly preferred it that way.

Maybe that was one of the ways she gained her status and her nickname.

Jane was tall, about five-foot-six. She had long, silky, black hair and green eyes. She was quiet wherever she went and knew when and when not to act. She was reserved.

Maybe that was what made Jane Salem the renowned assassin she was known for being.

Jane worked in the treasure-hunting department, and even though she was an assassin, she proved to be useful. Despite usually working off-site and eliminating competitors, Jane Salem was still invited to the annual company ball.

Jane hated balls, to say the least.
She didn't enjoy mingling, but nevertheless, going to the ball would make a statement. A statement based on how she dressed.

And if she dressed right, people would leave her alone.

Jane stood in front of the mirror in her bedroom. She was wearing a suit, not a dress. She hated dresses, at least a suit would be comfortable. Her hair was loosely pulled back into a half-up-half-down style and she wore silver jewelry. Her make-up was minimal, all she wore was mascara and eyeliner in order to make her eyes look sharper.

Maybe if she looked intimidating enough people would leave her alone.
But what Jane knew for sure, was that someone named Evelyn Hart would avoid her at all costs. They hated each other. They were each other's competitors, after all.

Jane wasn't willing to interact with Ms. Hart. She wasn't about to give away anything about her personality that would let Ms. Hart have an advantage over her.

Jane walked into the ball and instantly grabbed a drink and headed to a corner. She had eyes on everyone at least once, just to get a feel for who was there. That was when she had laid eyes on Evelyn Hart.

Ms. Hart was wearing a dark red dress that fitted her figure snugly. She also had her signature red lipstick overlaid on her lips and her curly hair pulled back into a loose bun.

Jane had started sipping her drink looking Everyln up and down. Jane had guessed that Evelyn had spidey senses because as soon as she looked back up and Evelyn was looking directly at her in her eyes.

Smirking, Jane turned around looking at her phone, scrolling through instagram.

She had felt someone grab her shoulder, it was her boss "Jane can you please actually try and be social for once?" He had asked in a dramatic tone, "Well for your information, I hate parties like this, I just came here so I can actually look like I care about my job."

He rolled his eyes at her, "Why do I even try with you sometimes?" He sighed and walked off.

Oh well, she thought, she couldn't be bothered by that right now, but what was bothering her was Evelyn being all friendly to other people and she kept looking at Jane smirking and started talking to someone new. Jane scoffed as if Evelyn was trying to make her jealous.

iJane went to grab another drink, and ran into Evelyn.

Here we fucking go.

"Jane Salem, it appears as if we are finally meeting on this fine night." Ms. Hart said with a smirk, her hazel eyes sparkling. Ms. Hart said Jane's name as if it was bittersweet.

Jane felt her jaw clench. She wanted to roll her eyes. "Tragically."

Ms. Hart looked Jane up and down. "You look nice, for once."