“Do you guys have any friends that would lend you a car for a bit?” Brent asked.

“No I don’t think so.” See I didn’t have many friends. I was best friends with Nat and I had a few other friends here and there, but most of the time it was just me and Nat. “Jordon and Janessa don’t have any.” Jordon and Janessa were the other part of Nat and my group, and were pretty much my only other friends. “Do you?” I asked Brent.

“Um, I have someone who was on the football team. He might lend it to me, but I haven’t talked to him for a long time, and I know he’s going to have a price.

“Well how much?” I asked. The good thing was I wasn’t a Dutch person who was very cheap. I would pay the price for things I needed, but I never went overboard with buying things.

“About a thousand.” Brent said.

“Well that’s not too bad! We could do that, couldn’t we?” Nat asked.

“You didn’t let me finish. He normally charges that per day, and any damage you pay for and any gas, you pay for. I heard his price went up though.”

“That’s not right! You can’t ask that! That’s stealing money right there! Who in their right mind would borrow his car?” I asked. Then I paused and thought of a new idea. “You don’t think we could use magic on him, do you?” Nat and Brent both looked at me like I was crazy.

“Candace, are you mad? We can’t use magic on regular people unless we absolutely have to! Like life or death situation. It’s probably against magical laws if there are any!” Nat said angrily.

“Since when did you care about the law?” I shot back and Nat didn’t say anything. “Besides we really do need a car! If Mom or Dad finds us it really will be a life or death situation!” I wasn’t ready to lose the fight this time, even though it was a two to one fight. “If you two won’t help me then I will get myself a car!” Brent grabbed my arm just as I started to walk away. I had no idea where I would go, but I would find a way.

“No! You are not going to do something dumb that sends the police after us! I’m not going to let you use magic on some innocent person!”

“I appreciate your concern, but I didn’t ask for your permission! I can do what I want, when I want to do it. Now get your hands off of me!” I said angrily. So much for getting along, I knew it was too good to be true.

“Candace, as much as I hate to say it, Brent’s right.” Nat said quietly. “You can’t make people give you cars, just because you want to and can! Magic is supposed to be used for good right? Not stealing people. Steve and Emma said that our mission was to make the magical world better, and stealing a car will make the human world worse! Do we want to do that?” Nat had a point, but we still needed a car and I didn’t want to admit that they were right.

“Guys, I don’t want to steal a car! We need a car to do good. We need a car to make the magical world, the world we belong in, better! One car will be a small price for the big picture.” I was starting to sound like a criminal and it scared me, but I knew I was right

“You know what? If you’re that set on stealing a car go ahead! Get arrested, for all I care!” Brent snapped. I had pushed him too far and now he was mad.

“Fine, you win, but just for this time! At least call him if you have his number, and see if he’s willing to lower the price!” Brent had a look of victory on his face and I just glared at him.

“I didn’t bring my cellphone, but there’s a payphone by all the mailboxes about a block away, so I’ll go see what I can do.” We lived in a subdivision, and normally I hated it, but at times when you couldn’t go back into your house, it was really nice to have payphones everywhere.

“Brent, before you do, can Candace and I know your football friend’s name?” Nat asked which was definitely a good idea. Some guys on the football team were messed up and into drugs, and I didn’t want to have anything to do with them, especially if this guy used to be on the football team. TO me it sounded like he had been kicked off.

“Um, his name is Doug.” Brent said and he blushed.

“Doug Stone?” I asked angrily.

“Yeah.” I wanted to punch Brent right then and there for even thinking of that-that thing!

“Brent you’re friends with him?” I asked angrily. “We are definitely not going to call him! I will have nothing to do with him!” Doug Stone no longer went to our school. He had been expelled for a serious crime and had served time in juvenile detention, but he should’ve served more.

“Candace, he’s my friend! He’s changed!” Brent protested.

“Have you lost your mind?” Nat asked.

“No!”

 “Brent he did it! Why?” I felt a stab of pain in my chest as I remembered the accident that Doug Stone had caused. The day that I had lost my brother, my brother who was never spoken of around my house. The brother that had been murdered.