Chapter 14: The Magnificent July

Začít od začátku

Nu had thrown light over them, healing him of the terrible smell. Zee would no longer carry this stench. July searched the room, trying to find the source. He went into the bathroom and all the other rooms and found nothing.

Once more, jumping up on the bed to sniff Zee, he smelled clean, and so did Nu. This was not the source, and he must find it in case it infected his family member again. Jumping down, he continued his search.

The stench was on the other side of one of the doors. He was sure now, and it was getting stronger the closer he got to it. He realized he had forgotten to envision where he was winking!

He didn't know the layout of the building he was now standing in. He was still a kitten, but he knew better. He was so excited to go to the mortal realm, and he forgot essential steps on his first day on the job.

"No one will hurt what is mine, especially when they are vulnerable," July hissed, and the hair on his back stood up.

July began to change. His eyes began to glow, and his gears started to shine. His body twisted and lengthened. He chose a mechanical and magical hybrid skin and focused on the door in case danger entered before his transformation was complete.

The change would take seconds, but seconds July felt he didn't have. July stood on his back paws, his front paws reaching to plea, and said:

From birth, God Zeus, you made my life's decree.

To see all that will be.

Mechanical Magical Me

Sent freely to defend the one.

The high God's only chosen Son

His Power was given to me to change.

My life to give in exchange.

For all I will give.

So that those I love will Live

July growled into the sky; his transformation was complete. Standing in all his glory was a Bengal Tiger of flesh, gear, and fur. Whether he showed his mechanical or his magical side, he was magnificent and knew it. Was there any doubt he would be?

Preening, he wished his family could see how impressive he was. Another time, they would see and praise him. July prowled to the door from which the nauseating smell was coming, sat down, and waited.

His nose twitched, and his ears were alert, waiting for any sound that the danger would enter through the door. When what was on the other side tried to test the door, he stood up and gave a mighty roar.

His body began to glow red as fire, and when it seemed he would explode, he blew onto the doorknob. The human or thing on the other side screeched in pain as the doorknob became hot to the touch. The person on the other side of the door was making lots of noise in its agony.

The noise must have alerted other humans as he heard them running down the hallway to investigate who had screamed and why. July was satisfied that he had done his job and they could take care of the rest.

He transformed back into his lovable, cuddly self. He hoped his owners would scratch him behind the ears in reward for protecting them. They did not realize just how hard his job was, and he did it well. He jumped on the bed and curled up between his owners, waiting to see if the bad smell would return.

Two hours had passed since he arrived in the mortal realm, and after one last check on his family, he winked back to the god realm. He automatically checked his internal clock. The first lesson from Zeus was that time in the God, and mortal realms ran differently.