CHAPTER 2: A MISSION OF CHARITY

Beginne am Anfang

Cleus ignores him. "Have you nothing better to do, than disrupt proper work to be done?" she directs her venom at me and her eyes demand respect.

"I'm sorry, dear grandmother," I apologize and give a bow. "I was merely curious."

"Well, go be curious somewhere else," Cleus starts in and takes a step forward. "My servants have work to do and do not have time to chit chat."

I require no further command from my superior. I give an additional bow and take off at a hurried pace while still looking dignified. I trade the sunny shore for the darker caves that dot the interior and are full of people who look very sickly and pale. They are so weak that the act of bowing takes several minutes to complete and they can't even drop to their knees

"What's wrong?" I ask aloud and take in the people. "Why do you seem so sickly? You look as if you haven't eaten in, well, forever."

"Bless you great goddess who gives us light during the darkest hours," a particularly emaciated woman addresses me as she approaches. "Our goddess Rajesh, queen of the lower world, has abandoned us and now we try to emulate her the best we can, so she might take mercy and relieve us of the misery that is this life."

"Could I bring you some food?" I ask as I latch onto the only idea that might provide some relief.

"Bless you great goddess," she says and nods her head upon a weak neck. "But we must live off of whatever our goddess makes available to us."

I'm sad to hear that they don't want the help I can give, but I'm not finished. I pass the people and head into the dark cave which stretches deep underground. I'm going to confront my great aunt and find out what is going on. I come upon an empty palace in a massive cavern and find her sitting alone inside a large room upon a throne.

It all feels so crushing and lonely and it robs me of my vigor. "Great aunt," I address her in a tiny voice that echoes throughout the room. "Why do you let your people live in such misery?"

"Little child," Rajesh returns and casts an eye my way. "Why do you care?"

"Because I hate to see anyone suffer needlessly," I respond and am still not used to my voice being projected back at me.

My response causes Rajesh to rise. "Suffering!? They don't know suffering!" she rails at me and closes the distance. "Suffering is having to stay on this rock when all you want to do is fly among the stars! Suffering is being saddled with this useless power! Suffering is..." She stops short when she sees me cowering beneath her verbal bombardment. She wraps her arms around me and raises my chin. "Fear not little one. It's not for you that my hatred burns. You say you are concerned for my followers then go and bring them some food, but do not make a habit of this."

I embrace my great aunt before hurrying away excitedly. The people are confused to see me smiling, but I don't have time to stop and explain. I have a mission to be about and I rush back to the spot where I left Uradhi. She's gone, but Descarta is still there assisting the field hands who are hard at work.

I approach her. "Excuse me dear grandmother," I start and give a slight bow. "I have need of a wagon full of food to give to poor, starving people. Could you find it in your heart to lend me some?"

"Tell me little one," Descarta starts in and fixes me with a hard gaze from her superior height. "Why should I want to give up any of the harvest that my daughter has painstakingly grown?"

"It is true that you have no reason to help out," I backpedal quite a bit while trying to move forward under the weight her words place upon me. "All I can say is what you do for these people will one day return to you, to the positive or the negative."

Descarta regards me with a wary eye. "Your argument does not sway me," she informs me and folds her arms. "These folk and I have been working since dawn to cultivate these crops and now that it has been gathered you wish to earmark it for those who have done nothing to help out? I think not."

"We all have our part to play in the complex mechanism that is this planet's existence," I reason with her and try my hardest not to be intimidated by her imposing stature. "And if we don't look out for the least of us then we are all likely to fall backward."

"Pretty words for a child who has yet to learn the harsh realities of existence and the weight it carries," Descarta persists in her argument as she scoffs.

"I don't understand," is my response as I try to sift through the dense information that she has given me and I swear my head starts to hurt.

"Then I shall simplify to the bare bones," Descarta responds and gives a shake of her head, she's disappointed in me. "Those that work eat. Those that don't will starve till they do something about it."

"I, I cannot argue with your reasoning," I admit and feel myself withdrawing from the situation. "But I must petition for the sake of the destitute all the same."

"A position I can respect and reward. You may take one of the wagons that we have filled and distribute it at your discretion," Descarta continues and allows her hands to drop. "But I must warn you, give freely to those who have done nothing to earn it and you're sure to make them fat and lazy."

I give a nod. "Thank you grandmother," I acknowledge her contribution and take a hard swallow. "I shall dole them out with your blessing."

"Just be sure that you don't make a habit of this," Descarta advises me and as she stands still.

I physically shrink under her intense gaze and scuttle along as I take hold of a cart and pull it along after me, not daring to take a breath until I no longer feel the heat of her eyes upon me. I take a moment to just breathe and think. The first thought on my mind: why did she give me food if she feels it will have a negative effect?

I continue my trek while I mull the question over. I stop suddenly and the blood leaves my body making me paler than I already am. She didn't give me this food to further my charity, she gave me it as a kind of test. She expects me to return to her without giving away a single piece of food. She wants me to forsake the needy in service to those who already have an abundance.

It pains me to turn my back upon my grandmother, but I simply cannot abandon the people who need these vittals the most. As such, I hunker down and pull the wagon with increased strength and energy. Every step brings with it a renewed sense in my mission and a resolve that takes on any doubt that may enter my mind.

"Come one come all," I announce as I pull the cart close to the caves. "Gather round and feast upon the sustenance you so desperately need."

The people are reluctant to leave their shelter, but curiosity proves a stronger impulse than caution and they slink along the ground in a manner I've not seen anyone walk, it's bizarre to say the least. They approach the cart, but do not dare to even pick up a single morsel as they allow their noses to ferret out the goods inside the transport.

"It's alright," I assure them and pick up a piece of fruit. "There's nothing wrong with it." I take a bite. "See."

One of them approaches and takes hold of a fresh fruit which I hand to her. "We do not fear the food you have given us, even poisoned food would prove better than our current fare," she informs me and gazes upon the food in her hand. "But we dare not act outside of our goddesses precepts."

"Than there is nothing to fear," I put forward and place a hand on her shoulder. "The great goddess Rajesh has entrusted this mission to me and blesses all who partake."

A shout rises from the crowd and they descend upon the goods being offered. They eat, drink and are merry. Upon their lips is praise first to Rajesh, then Descarta then to me. I'm only happy to be of help. I probably won't be able to help them often, but for now at least, they will have reason to rejoice.

I decide to quit while I'm ahead and leave the party early. The people are sorry to see me go, but understand that I have only begun to take in the strange sight of this world. I leave the wagon and the food inside it to their will and move on. I'm excited to see what else there is to see.