Intoxication, Graduation, and Confrontation

Start from the beginning

james' p.o.v

i was ready to run straight into the field and pull june in my arms until daniel came up beside me. "hey man, congratulations." i said. he thanked me then i quickly looked back over to the field when i heard june's voice boom through the speaker system.

"um.. i don't really know what to say.. i guess i wish my parents could be here to see me.. i know my moms up there watching me, probably in tears right now." everybody cheered for her, including me.

"man, she's gotta get over that." danny said. "what?" i asked, keeping my attention on june.

"her mom died like six months ago. she needs to get over it sooner or later."

"man, you don't know a thing." i scoffed.

"just cause her mom kicked the bucket doesn't mean you have to pity her. i know you wanna fuck her." he bumped my shoulder.

i dropped my beer on the ground with a loud shatter as i turned to face him. "the fuck is wrong with you?" i shoved him against one of the pillars that supported the bleachers above us. "what's wrong with me?" he scoffed, getting closer again. "what's wrong with you, man? this thing you're doing— playing 'nice neighbor' is a real weird tactic."

i had no more words to say to him, so i sent my right fist into his jaw. he stumbled onto the ground with a groan as i walked away in search of june.

june's p.o.v

i was talking to hayden's parents when i noticed james rapidly stomping toward me with fuming anger written all over his face.

"let's go." he demanded, pulling the sleeve of my gown. "what?" i asked, confused. "we're leaving." he pushed me forward a bit then moved his hand to the small of my back. "james, what happened?" i asked. i tried pulling away from his rough grasp to no avail. "let's fucking go, we're going home." he stopped and looked at me before speeding up again.

we reached the parking lot and i immediately spotted russell leaning on his car, talking to his friends. "oh, just who i was looking for!" james shouted. russell moved away from his car and sped up toward us.

"what are you doing?" he eyed james suspiciously.

"okay, now i'm confused." i piped up.

"i was just about to tell your girl what you and your friends had planned." clearly james was buzzed, and high off both marijuana and adrenaline. he finally let go of my arm, but then swung at russell.

"james, what the fuck?!" i shouted, backing away a little. russell towered over james by a few inches and was able to dodge his hook, then socked james right on his nose. "stop! fucking make them stop!" i yelled to russell's friends.

james clearly wasn't doing too well as they both fell to the ground, russell towering over him and beating his face black and blue. i was a lot smaller than all the guys, but jumped on russell's back and tightened my arm around his neck, pulling as hard as i could until he fell back. james quickly scrambled off the ground and spat the blood from his mouth. the only sound was heavy breathing and the distant crowd in the football field from the other side of the school.

"james, what the fuck is wrong with you?" i stared at him with wide eyes. "me?" he laughed humorlessly, pointing to his own chest. "yes, you!" i shouted.

"he fuckin' bet on you!"

i went silent as i stared at russell, trying to understand what james was talking about. "what?"

"that's not—" i cut russell off. "is it true?"

"no."

"yes." james said breathlessly.

i darted my eyes to james and glared at him. "shut the fuck up!" i shouted without even thinking. i shifted my eyes between the four men standing around me. it was like a nightmare. i felt my chest begin rising and falling quickly.

"god fucking damnit." i whispered, stomping across the school parking lot. "june, wait!" i heard james shout, but i continued walking away without another look in his direction.

vote, comment & follow