Some sorts of things

Start from the beginning

People tended to be so blind regarding their friends, it was almost heartbreaking.

But it had suddenly given him a rather brilliant idea of assuaging his brother's grief.

"And what of those deaths along his path, Arjun?" asked Karna, turning to his brother. "Should you not tolerate them for the sake of Vasudev's nicer future?"

Arjun looked away, frowning.

"Yes, of course," he said.

"Tolerate them cheerfully, keeping faith in Vasudev's future?"

His brother's frown deepened, but it seemed more out of contemplation than annoyance to Karna.

"If it is possible at all," said Arjun finally. "Can you ever tolerate--or worse, cause--the death of your loved ones cheerfully, Angaraj?"

"No," said Karna. "But I am not the one who trusts Vasudev blindly, child."

The endearment slipped out unthinkingly, and left both of them surprised. Arjun did not look insulted, as he would undoubtedly have been a week ago, possibly because he sensed Karna had said it not out of condescension, but genuine affection.

"That's right," said Arjun in a firmer voice. "If I cannot sacrifice cheerfully, I would acting like Madhav compelled me to k-kill--kill Pitamah like he compelled you to fight against Duryodhan. But I trust him--blindly--so--so he does not have to compel me at all. I will do it out of my own free will."

Karna did not know how he could say it so seriously, without the trace of irony. It made him smile.

"Good," he said, this time deciding in favour of draping an arm around his brother's shoulders, "and make sure you don't forget it."

Arjun did not pull away, and looked around with an expression of perplexion. 

"What is it to you, Angaraj?" he asked.

"What is what to me?"

"Whether I kill the enemy commander willingly or not?"

Because you are my little brother. Because I don't remember the last time I thought of you as my rival. Because I could not stand seeing you so unhappy, my anuj.

Simply considering telling Arjun the truth made Karna's heart pound painfully. From fear, but also from anticipation.

All it would take it one burst of superhuman courage. As a warrior, surely he could afford it?

"Because," he began gruffly, and paused, for in front of them loomed the Kaurava camp.

He had not realized how far they'd walked, or that he'd unconsciously been walking in this direction. Heart and courage sinking, Karna turned back, steering Arjun with him.

"Won't you go in?" asked Arjun.

"No," said Karna steadily.

"Why not?"

"I just don't want to. And they see me as a traitor anyway."

"They cannot," said Arjun, indignantly. "Everyone knows of the choice Madhav offered you! You had to leave them so that they would not be annihilated."

"Even so. I killed so many of theirs."

Arjun turned to him in disbelief. "Bhrata Duryodhan thinks you are a traitor for that?"

"No," said Karna under his breath. "Not Duryodhan."

"Thank heavens for that. I did think it was not possible to him to fall lower in our eyes."

"Arjun," said Karna in a warning tone.

Just like Karna ignored Arjun when he defended Vasudev, Arjun ignored him now. 

In a family, it occurred to Karna, if two brothers detested each other's best friends so much, it would drive the parents crazy, never give them a moment of peace. Thank goodness Vrishasena liked Abhi and Vrishaketu loved Lakshmana. Thank goodness he and Arjun had not grown up as brothers.

The irony of it all made Karna laugh bitterly.

"I thought Abhi was the only one who laughed out of context," said Arjun. "What exactly do you find funny, Angaraj?"

"Nothing," said Karna sardonically. "Our world is such a bad place, it's funny."

Arjun laughed at that. His laugh, however, was not bitter.

That was a thing Karna had always wondered about. Even after the way theirs life had gone, how could Arjun and the twins be so free from bitterness of any sort? Yudhishthir, he had understood, was a literal saint who bore no one any grudge and thus eliminated the question of bitterness. Bheem and Panchali did harbour substantial bitterness.

There was something very endearing about his youngest trio of brothers.

Someone slinking through the shadows froze at the sight of them. Before Karna could scrutinize them, Arjun said, "Jyesht?"

Yudhishthir emerged into the moonlight.

"Er--greetings, Angaraj," he said awkwardly. "What are you doing, Arjun?"

"Taking a walk," said Arjun, unabashed, and added with suspicion, "What are you doing?"

Yudhishthir hesitated. Karna could tell he was struggling with his dharma of truth.

"I came to ask advice from Pitamah," he said at last, quietly, "regarding how he might be defeated."

"Are you crazy?" said Karna in disbelief.

Yudhishthir shook his head. "Pitamah wishes for us to win the war, Angaraj--" 

"Just like you wish for Duryodhan to win the war," Arjun interjected to Karna snidely.

Yudhishthir frowned at him and went on. "--and he knows that cannot happen unless he is defeated. I thought it is worth the chance."

"If you think so, go ahead," said Karna.

He glanced at Arjun, who was keeping a normal, brave facade even though he must be breaking inside. He felt a twinge of gratitude that his effort had borne some fruit.

"See you both later," said Yudhishthir, turning in the direction of the Kaurava camp.

Karna and Arjun looked after him. Another thought occurred to Karna abruptly.

"Yudhishthir--one second!" He bolted after him. Before Arjun could reach them, he spoke in a low, fast tone. "After you are done, take Arjun to talk to your grandfather, too. He might be the only one to get Arjun make peace with what is to be done tomorrow."

Once Yudhishthir had registered it, he nodded. Arjun had caught up now, scowling.

"What did you say?" he demanded.

 "Nothing you need to know," said Karna. "Come on, let your jyesht go in."

Yudhishthir smiled at both of them, which looked sad and amused at the same time, and escaped before Arjun could start pestering him.

"This secret you know which Madhav also knows by default," said Arjun. "Does jyesht know of it too?"

"No," said Karna.

"What did you tell him, then?"

"Don't be nosy, Arjun." Karna grinned. "Especially in matters concerning your elders."

Arjun could not help grinning back.

Karna knew he could just as well been the one who advised Arjun to go and talk to his grandfather before tomorrow. Why did he want to get Yudhishthir do it? He knew, of course.

It was not the sort of thing an ally would do, he thought wistfully. It was the sort of thing an elder brother would do.