The funeral feast

After the funeral of her dear mother Aemma, Rhaenyra made the long and painful way back to the Red Keep with Alicent by her side. Rhaenyra were thankful for the silence between them because her mind were a mess. Her father had stayed a little while longer, Baelon in his arms and Daemon by his side. Rhaenyra would rather have Daemon by her side, comforting her like he always would when her life were crumbling down, but he and her father had some things to discuss so Rhaenyra stuck with Alicent. 

"Everything will be okay Rhaenyra" Alicent said softly as she laid her hand on Rhaenyras shoulder. "I know it isn't the best outcome of your mothers pregnancy, but your father got the son he always wanted. The throne is secured and you don't have to worry about that anymore". Rhaenyra knew that Alicents words were true but somehow it still bothered Rhaenyra. She doesn't need to carry the weight of the seven kingdoms on her shoulder anymore, and she can carry on with her life, no distractions. but a part of her still longed for it. The thought of herself sitting on the throne, ruling the seven kingdoms excited her. she could've been the first lady to ascend the iron throne in Targaryen history, but that dream went up in smoke with the birth of her baby brother Baelon. 

As they reached the front doors of the Red Keep Rhaenyra told Alicent that she would head to her chambers to get some rest. Her mothers funeral had worn her out, and at this point, the only thing she wanted was to get some rest. Her personal guard Ser Criston Cole followed her to her chambers and Rhaenyra went inside.

The second the closed the door she broke down crying. All of the emotions that she had been holding in, to seem strong, came crumbling down and she bowled her heart out. Her mother was dead. The only person she trusted her deepest thoughts to, were with the Gods now. 

Crying, Rhaenyra went under the covers and got comfortable in the feather filled mattress. Not long after her head reached the pillow, Rhaenyra felt the comforting feeling of sleep consuming her, and she slumbered off into a deep and dreamless sleep. 

-

She woke from her sleep to the sound of soft knocking on the door. "Princess are you awake?" her maid called out from the other side of the door. Still sleepy Rhaenyra answered "yes" and sat up in her bed. The wooden door opened and her maid entered "your lord father have requested your presence for supper" she said and Rhaenyra flipped the covers off of her, and went to the dresser and took a seat. From the dresser the maid took a comb and began to comb her silky white hair trough. When she were done freshening up she got up, and with Ser Criston Cole by her side they headed for the dining room.

As Crison opened the oak doors to the dining room she were surprised to see Daemon sitting at the head table, beside her father. when she entered Daemon looked up and a flutter began to rise in Rhaenyras stomach as Daemons eyes locked with hers. He looked a little tired but nonetheless handsome. Ever since she could remember she thought of Daemon as handsome. She didn't know if it was because all the ladies at court talked about him when he returned to Kings Landing or because it was known that Targaryens felt attracted to other Targaryens. Her grandfather prince Baelon married his sister princess Alyssa and it was known as tradition to marry Targaryen to Targaryen to keep the line pure. 

Looking away from Daemons gaze, she realized how many people were in the room, she had forgotten that her father had arranged a funeral feast in memory of her mother. Walking up the middle isle, she went towards the head table where her father and uncle Daemon sat. Rhaenyras father had not realized that her daughter had entered the room as he were busy talking to Daemon, but when daemon looked at her, her fathers gaze rose. "Ah dearest daughter, im glad you're here" he said and rose with his arms out. He gave Rhaenyra a hug "come, sit" he said and sat down again returning to his conversation with Daemon. A servant served some food to Rhaenyra, but she wasn't hungry at all. She heard her father talking to Daemon about someone called the Crabfeeder making a mess in the stepstones, but she didn't listen much. Her mind went back to the time were her and her mother had sat under the weirwood, her mother telling her the story about Visenya Targaryen. A silent tear went down Rhaenyras chin as the picture came to life in her mind.

Rhaenyra closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and when she opened her eyes again she could see daemon looking worriedly at her in the corner of her eye. "Is something wrong dear niece?" he asked, Rhaenyra looked at him and couldn't hide a small smile forming on her lips. "I was just remembering the times I had with my mother, thats all" she said and looked out at the crowd, people making conversation in every corner. 

-

when the feast came to and end and people began to leave the room, Rhaenyra rose from her seat to leave, and she were surprised to see Daemon also rise "Dear niece, walk with me" he said smiling, and with long strides he were at her side, walking with her. 

"Im leaving for Dragonstone tomorrow" he said when they had left the room. Rhaenyra were looking down, sad that her uncle yet again had to leave home. She loved having Daemon around as court could be so boring without him. It seemed that he could always find a way to make her laugh or smile with his funny gestures. "Corlys Velaryon is struggling with a war in the Stepstones and I find it necessary to assist him, as it seems that he is absolutely incapable of killing that cunt of a Crabfeeder" he said as they were walking down an empty hallway. The thought of Daemon going to war and possibly die troubled her, and it was clear for Daemon to see. 

Walking in front of Rhaenyra, stopping her, Daemon took her hands in his and looked her in the eyes "Don't you worry your pretty little head dear niece, if there is one thing im good at, it's definitely not dying" he said and gave her a hands a little squeeze. his words gave her some comfort, but there were always the possibility of him dying, and that would rip her already crumbling world apart. 

As they reached Rhaenyras chambers Daemon looked at her "come by the dragon pit before I leave tomorrow. I have something for you" he said and planted a small kiss on the top of her head before he turned around and left her standing there, wondering what he might have for her.