It takes a village

Začít od začátku

"Thank you." Winta said to them

I smiled at her and Mando nodded his head.

"Come on, Winta. Let's give our guests some room." She gestured for her daughter to leave the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mando and I had spent most of the day preparing. We were going to go out into the woods to look for the raiders along with Cara Dune.

"I'm not sure about this..." Mando said hesitantly.

"About what?" I asked while I struggled to pull my holster up my legs to my waist.

"About you going. It will be dangerous and you're in no state to be fighting." Mando said

"And what? Leave you and Cara to go alone. I'll be fine, trust me. I won't do any hand to hand combat ok? Besides, we're just checking out their camp." I said, sighing as I finally clipped my holster on.

"Fine..." before he could say anything else, our conversation was interrupted.

"Knock knock." Omera said from outside

"Come in." Mando said

Omera walked Into the hut with a tray of food for Mando. her daughter, Winta, was trailing behind her nervously.

Winta stood next to her mother and glanced up at her, Omera smiled down at her and nodded in encouragement.

"Can I Feed him?" Winta asked, referring to the child.

"Sure." Mando said

Winta crouched down beside the cot that the child was sitting in. "Are you hungry?" She asked. She laughed joyfully as the child took the food that she was offering.

"Can I Play with him?" Winta asked

Mando sighed. "Sure." He walked over to the cot and picked up the child, placing him on the ground.

"Come on." Winta said, she ran outside and the child began to follow after her.

Mando lurched forward. "I don't think-" I willed myself to stay put, I know that we are probably safe here, but the child was still in a lot of danger.

Omera put her hand out and stopped him. "They'll be fine."

Mando backed off and stood a foot away from her. "I brought you some food. I noticed you didn't eat out there. I'll leave it here for when I go." She said, smiling at him.

I shuffled on my feet slightly, an unfamiliar feeling creeping up my chest.

"That's very thoughtful of you." Mando said

Mando walked over to the other side of the room. Omera hesitated before she spoke up. "Do you mind if I ask you something?"

"Go ahead." Mando said

"How long has it been since you've taken that off?" She asked, referring to his helmet. I didn't even feel like I was there, an invisible presence. I sighed inaudibly at the discomfort I was feeling. The woman seemed to be very interested in Mando.

"Yesterday." Mando answered

"I mean, in front of someone else." Omera said

Mando stopped what he was doing and turned to her, he stepped forward and stood at the window with her. He gestured to the children playing. "I wasn't much older than they are."

"You haven't shown your face to anyone since you were a kid?" She asked

"No. I was happy that they took me in. My parents were killed and The Mandalorians took care of me." Mando said. The strange feeling in my chest rose up again, since when was he so talkative with strangers?