The Hideout

When Allie ran out of the lunch room, she hadn't planned on leaving school grounds, but there was no point in going pack to face her fellow classmates.

It sickened her to no end that they could deliberately do this to one of there own kind. That she was treated less because of her weight.

Why, why, why couldn't she be judged on her personality rather than looks.

Allie swam all the way to her secret hide out. The one place she could go in order to escape the nasty, hurtful comments the other students had to utter.

A smooth, shiny rock glistened under the shiny sun that shine over the beautiful sea waves. Allie had been to the surface once in a school trip.

Why not visit after that you might ask?

FLASHBACK

It was a cool January morning. Ms. Ashley's class, of which Allie was in, was going to a little trip to the surface.

One of the most exciting things in a fishes life is to visit the UNKNOWN.

Allie was sure she was the most excited if all. She packed a waterproof camera she had received that past Christmas.

When the class departed, Allie preferred to dilly dally by herself putting a bit of distance between herself and the others.

Not like I have friends anyway, she'd thought.

Instead of feeling sorry for herself, she enjoyed the view around her, trying to memorize the new path the their teacher was showing them. It wouldn't hurt to visit. Right?

Once in a while, everyone would advance up, getting closer and closer to the surface.

They were almost there when,

"Allie, you probably shouldn't go up there. Half the water would go and that wouldn't benefit the rest of us." Claire, Samantha's friend giggles causing the rest of the popular group to laugh. Everyone else remained neutral and Ms. Ashley didn't seem to notice the commotion.

Allie froze in her tracks and lagged far behind the others than she was supposed to.

They're right, she thought, I don't belong with them.

"C'mon Allie!" Ms. Ashley called. "The rest of us are waiting."

Allie paled and shook her head as the class snickered. Whispers floated around and yet Ms. Ashley still hadn't noticed.

Allie shook her head, again, more forcefully and dashed away.

On the way back, something had caught her eye.

A nice smooth, shiny rock under a fallen log from the surface. They'd learned about logs in school earlier in the week.

Allie swam over and shoved the log off the pretty rock so she could sit and wait for the rest of the class to return. And that is where she went every time someone had embarrassed her.

FLASHBACK OVER

Allie sat at the rock now and sniffled. No one likes her. She had no friends. She didn't belong with the others.

Negative thoughts kept coming and coming. When the ocean sky had darkened Allie returned home to find her angry parents.

"Where have you been?!" her mother screamed.

"It's way past school time. You have less time to prepare for the talent show and your mother and I have been worried sick." her father exclaimed.

"Sorry." Allie muttered. She swam to her room and searched for her costume she was supposed to be wearing for her performance.

Here goes nothing, she thought and began getting ready.

~^~

THANJS FOR READING. VOTE AND COMMENT.

LESSON NUMBER TWO: don't give your bullies a reaction. A reaction is exactly what they're looking for. If you give them that they will continue to feel power. If you ignore them they will stop, considering they didn't get what they wanted.

🌸ASIA🌸