| Chapter 10 | Sunrise

Start from the beginning

The man picked up the bundle, throwing the strap over his shoulder to carry it. 

Levi stirred in the weeds. He began to go in the direction of the woman who had already started walking away from the meeting with the man, heading for the town. "Where are you going?" I whispered loudly after him.

"To ask her about the deal she made with that guy," He called back to me, still going after her.

"Y/n," Hange said. "We'll keep going after that man. Levi, meet us back here by sunrise."

He nodded, and all of us set off.
-

|Chapter 10|
Sunrise
-
I pulled myself up onto an arm of an apple tree, the green leaves swirling around as I accidentally bumped a loose and skinny branch. Hange climbed up next to me, eyes darting after the man who was just ahead. He had made it to a small house that resided on the outskirts of Wall Rose, far from any contact with civilian life. 

The man opened the door, going inside.

"So to sum this up," I turned to Hange. She pulled an apple from it's stem. "They needed money to buy weapons."

"Correct," Hange whiped the waxy apple off on her shirt before taking a bite. "I'm going to say that's what stealing that watch was for; to sell it," she muttered between chewing, mouth full.

"But the watch was taken back into custody of the shop owner," I said. "So where did they get the money that was exchanged just now?"

"Probably just stole something else. The Military Police likely didn't do anything to help. The only reason the thief was arrested back then was because you were there to stop him," She tossed the apple after another bite. "I'm sure they've gotten away with multiple accounts of theft under the blind eye of those pricks."

I looked at one of the windows of the house light up.

"They're going to try and attack us," The window went dim as a person inside pulled the curtains to block the light from bringing in any unwanted attention. Little did they know, I had seen the entire thing.

"A risky thing to attempt," Hange scoffed. "I cannot fathom just how silly this entire thing has turned out to be." Hange leaned back against the tee. "I truly wish to know how the minds of these people work."

"No idea," I shook my head. "But they're definitely not the brightest. We fight titans on a daily basis. What makes them think they can defeat an entire regiment of skilled fighters?"

There was an unspoken agreement.

"Look," I said, the light from the window going out. "Whoever is in there must be leaving that room."

Hange squinted, every second that passed began to fill up the hourglass in my head. We needed to act quickly before these people had an opportunity to strike.

Weak or not, we couldn't just let them waltz into our regiment and ruin what we worked so hard to destroy.

"We stay here until sunrise. If they don't do anything, we return to the field to regroup with Levi," Hange ordered.

Levi's face flashes through my mind, and I wondered what he was doing.
-

[[Levi's POV]]
-
I snuck up behind the strange woman, my body sliding between two buildings, the space narrow. My eyes were focused as I matched her pace, her arm extending to grab hold of a large door.

Before she could wrap her fingers around the handle, I lunged, swiftly pinning her against a wall and keeping her arms tight against her back. Her cheeks were pressed on the cold wooden shop she was about to enter. She tried to pull away but failed.

"You play dirty!" She spat, jerking her arms around. "Unhand me you fiend!"

"Who was that man you were speaking with?" I held my voice firm, demanding she tell me everything she knows. I narrowed my eyes to show her I wasn't here to mess around. If she tried anything- I'd break her arm without hesitation.

"Why, you jealous he got to talk to a pretty lady and you didn't?" Her jokes bounced off of me like a poorly thrown ball that missed the hoop.

"You aren't the pretty one."

"What's that supposed to mean?" She whined. I could feel her loosen her tightened muscles, clearly growing tired of struggling.

"I'll ask you this one more time," I looked deep into her eyes, every ounce of my being daring her to refuse an answer. "Who was that man?"

"Ugh! Is this any way to treat a lady?!" Her voice lowered as she realized her distractions wouldn't work, so she sighed and said,"He's apart of some group of scumbags."

"We used to do business with them from time to time, but they grew more and more difficult to get any payment from. The whole thing with the weapons, if that's what you're wondering about, is the last deal we made with them," She closed her eyes while grumbling. "They want to take down the Scouts."

I was already aware.

"Who's we?"

"Me and a few others. We own a small blacksmithing business. Y'know, forging weapons and stuff like that." The woman sighed. "We never liked those men. They always picked fights with us whenever we made something they didn't find perfect. Now they're picking fights with the Scouts..."

She looked me up and down from over her shoulder. "Hey... You look familiar."

A gasp rose from her lips. "Oh my God! I know you, you're Captain Levi Ackermann, aren't you?!"

I disliked that fact she knew who I was. My name truly was a burden at times.

"Why didn’t you just say so?" I released her as she pulled away, hitting me on the back and sitting down on a bale of hay just on the side. 

"I'll tell you everything you want to here if it means getting those bastards off our asses. Like I said before, I only helped them for the money."

I didn't like this woman's enthusiasm, but I dealt with it if it meant retrieving information. 

My gaze turned up to the sky, seeing a faint yellow strip forming in the horizon. I remembered how four-eyes  had said to meet them back at sunrise, and I secretly wished for this odd woman to hurry and explain everything. 

And for some reason, I was wondering what Y/n was doing...

I cleared my throat.