"It's just a nickname. You know how everybody likes those around here."

"Right." She folds her arms over her chest, her guard falling a bit as she leans against the table. "You forget I know exactly what goes on around here."

"Believe me, I don't forget, sweetheart. I remember every single second." A grin plays at my lips.

"How many times have you slept with her?"

What the hell does she think this is? Some kind of brothel? This is a dance club, and I'm certainly no pimp. "I don't sleep with my employees, Elizabeth."

Lizzie lets out a sharp laugh. "Well, I think we both know that's not true, Jackson."

She's got me there, that's for sure. "You've always been my exception, Junebug."

"Don't call me that anymore, okay?" She lets out a heavy breath, the reminder of her past stinging her deeply.

"Sure, whatever you want." I chuckle. Lizzie's eyes lock on the stage, glistening in the soft pink hue from the lights. "Go ahead and take it for a spin if you want. I'm sure you still know your way around my stage."

She presses her lips into a firm line, and glances away. "That was a lifetime ago. And if you remember, you were the one who pulled me off the last few years I was here."

"Because you were my wife, and I didn't want other men watching you dance. That body belongs to me."

"Maybe back then." Lizzie clenches her jaw.

"If you say so..."

Lizzie stands up in a fit of anger. "Jax, I came here to talk about Emily and if we're not going to do that..."

I grab her wrist, cutting her off before she can continue. "Sit."

For a moment, she looks scared of me, but soon it disappears. She jerks her arm back, flailing around. "Touch me like that again and I'll break your nose."

There's my girl. Turns out she is hiding in there somewhere.

"I'm sorry." I concede, holding my hands up in surrender. "You're right. We're here to talk about you helping me with the man who killed Emily."

"I haven't agreed to anything yet, Jax. And the longer this meeting goes on, the less likely it is that I'm going to." She's flustered, but there is a familiar fire in her eyes.

I nod. "Okay. At least let me explain, okay? I promise, no more bullshit. Completely professional."

"I wasn't aware you knew the meaning of the word professional." She quips, cautiously sitting back down.

"Like I said—for you, I can make an exception."

Lizzie is the only one I ever let get to me this way, and it turns out not a single thing has changed. I want to hate her. I want to sit here and see her indifferently and take care of the business between us, but instead, a rush of memories floods my mind. I remember what it was like to hold her in my arms. The smell of her hair, the curve of her body against mine, the way she'd fall asleep on my chest with her legs intertwined in mine. But even beyond that, the way she understood me, and challenged me and pushed me to be better in every single way. The way she loved me, took care of me, and put up with all the bullshit that came with being the crown prince of the Hale crime family.

We were so damn good together, and then it was just gone. The only reason I can hold it together is because there is a part of me that gets it. A part of me that understands and can even appreciate why she left. She's happy, and she's safe, and that's all that matters, but having her this close to me and knowing I can't have her is fucking torture.

If I'm going to get what I want from her, I need to rein it in.

"What do you want from me, Jax? Really. You asked me about my law license, but I haven't practiced in years. And why do you need a lawyer, anyway? Did you..." I don't like her accusatory tone, and I cut her off again.

"Before you say something you're going to regret, I don't need a lawyer because I was involved with Emily's death." I growl, irate that she would even suggest such a thing. It's been a long time, but she knows me better than that.

"I'm sorry." Her eyes fall. "I didn't mean to make it seem like I thought you were involved. I know you would never... I know how much she meant to you."

I clench my jaw. "They arrested the man who killed her."

"They did?" Lizzie frowns in confusion. "Well, that's great. What do you need me for, then?"

"I want you to defend him, Lizzie. I need him out on bail."

"Why?" She sucks in a sharp, knowing breath.

"I think you know the answer to that." I mumble. "I have to handle this myself. I can't take a chance on him getting out for some reason, and I need people I can trust."

Her eyes widen. "Jax, you can't honestly be suggesting I help you get a guy out of jail just so you can kill him. I could lose my license for this."

"What do you care? You bake pies now."

Lizzie groans. "Cakes, Jax. I make cakes."

"Whatever." I lean forward. "Look, you don't need to know the specifics. All I want to do is hire you to defend your client and get him out of jail. Case closed."

Lizzie covers her face with her hands, gently rubbing her temples in exasperation. "Jax... I got out of all of this a long time ago."

"I know." I nod. "And I wouldn't be asking you to do this if I had any other choice."

She doesn't answer, licking her upper lip as she contemplates what I've asked. I know it's a lot. I know what I'm asking is above and beyond what I should, but I'm desperate. I need justice for my baby sister.

"Please." I reach for her hand across the table and give it a squeeze. "For Emily."

Lizzie bites her lip, shifting her weight in her chair. "I'll think about it, okay? I can't make any promises today."

"Absolutely." It's not a yes, but it's better than a no. "Take all the time you need. You know where to find me when you've made your choice."

She nods and then stands up. "I'll talk to you soon."