Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Brooklyn

Sam is hard at work with a white board in front of him. He's been trying to figure out how long Kelly has before she gives birth. He had worked through half the night and most of the day, causing me to make him some coffee and deliver it to him.

Dean walked in, looking over his brother's shoulder. "What's up, Beautiful Mind?"

"Guess I just figured we can't exactly track Dagon, so I've been reading up on Nephilim, trying to figure out how much time we have before-"

"'Lil Lucifer pops," Dean finished.

"Or whatever it is," I added.

Sam nodded and pointed to the board, "Okay, so we know Kelly got pregnant sometime in early December. According to the lore, Nephilim don't need 9 months to get to full term, so I think she will be giving birth around May 18th."

I sighed, "Which means we have less than a month to find her and convince her to kill her baby or find another way. Both don't sound good."

"Yeah, and exactly no idea where to start."

Dean looked at Sam and I, "Okay, but even if we do find her, what then?"

Before either of us can guess that answer, the Bunker door opens and Cas walks in.

"Cas," I said, surprised. He hasn't answered his phone and been missing for weeks. Now he walks in like everything's fine."

Sam looks equally surprised, "Hey. You're all right. Um... Where have you been?"

Dean puts a hand up, speaking in anger. "Let me rephrase that for Sam. Where the hell have you been? And why have you ignored our phone calls?"

"Where I was, the reception was, uh, poor."

"No bars?" Dean looks between Sam and I in disbelief, "No bars. That's his excuse. Wow."

Cas sighed, "I was in Heaven. I was working with the angels. When I saw Dagon had captured Kelly, I thought they could help."

"Did they?" I asked, hopeful. It quickly demolished though when his head looked down in disappointment and answered with a "no".

Sam nodded, seeming to expect that answer, "Well, at least you're back. We're glad you're back."

Dean looked at his brother in shock, "Really?"

"Dean..." I said in a slight warning tone.

"No, I'm sorry. Okay, 'cause while you were striking out in Heaven, we had a shot at Dagon, and we lost."

"I know. I received your messages."

Now Dean looks equally hurt and angry. "Oh, you did? You did receive the messages? Okay, that's good. So not only were you ditching us, but you were also ignoring us? That's great. 'Cause we really could've used the backup. But, uh, you were too busy with, um, what was it? Nothing?"

Cas took a step towards Dean, trying to speak his piece but Dean wouldn't let him.

"Dean, I-"

"What the hell is wrong with you, man? You know what... whatever. Welcome back." With that, he turned and stormed into the hallway, probable to our room.

I felt bad. I know Dean doesn't want to hurt Cas, but in a way, Cas hurt Dean. He just disaspered with no word, meaning he could have been dead for all we knew. My feet moved to follow in my husband's footsteps, saying, "I'll talk to him."

Cas put a hand out, stopping mr, "No, I should."

Nodding, I watched Cas disappear into the hallway to chase after his friend.

"Well, that could have gone better," I mumbled, sitting next to Sam.

"Yeah," Sam scuffed slightly, looking over the board again.

"Sam, you should get some sleep."

Sam sighed, sitting back in his chair and shaking his head, "Brooke, what if we've been going about this whole thing the wrong way, you know? I mean, we can't track Dagon, right? We know that. We've tried. But what if we can track the Nephilim?"

Raising my curiosity, I gestured for Sam to continue, "I'm listening."

"Well okay, the baby's half-angel, right? So remember Gadreel?"

"The crazy angel who took your body for a test drive? Yeah, what about him?"

Sam nodded, "All right, well there was this spell that Cas and I were working on to find him."

I nodded, "Yeah, you needed Gadreel's grace, and he couldn't yank enough out of you."

Sam paused, chuckling as he looked off, "Of course. I'm an idiot."

Dean suddenly walked in, seeming better since talking to Cas. He joined in the conversation, seeming to respond to Sam's words. "Well, there's no argument there."

"No, stop. Dean, the grace extraction with Gadreel. The tracking spell was a bust, right? But, the extraction ritual worked."

"So?"

"So what if Cas used it on Kelly's kid? I mean, a Nephilim's just a human soul with angelic grace, right? So you remove the grace-"

I spoke up in shock, "Kid's just a kid."

Sam nodded, "Yeah. That way, Kelly wouldn't have to die, and neither would her baby."

Dean looked impressed and shocked at this realization, "Hot damn."

"I mean, we still obviously have to find Kelly in the first place. And, it's just a theory, but-"

"No, no, no. No. This is it. This is it, Sam. I'll get Cas," Dean said before hurrying off to get his friend.

I patted Sam on the shoulder, "Good work. We'll see what we can find out."

Sam nodded, giving me a reassuring smile before I left the map room. As I head in the direction of our room, I can here Dean mumbling words of anger to himself.

Sure enough, as I walk into our room, I see Dean taring apart our room as if he's looking for something.

"What's going on? What's wrong?"

"The Colt, it's missing."

"Are you sure"

"Yes. I had it right here," Dean motioned towards his side of the bed.

I nodded, recalling that he had it under his pillow. "Okay. We'll find it," I tried to reassure him. My eyes glanced around the room before a thought crossed it, "Where's Cas?"

Dean freezes in any movements, looking at me for a second before pushing passed me to go out into the hall. "Cas! Cas!"

Nothing, we found no sign of him or the Colt.

Sam tried to call Cas, but just like all the times before this, it only went to voicemail. Sam sighed in annoyance before hanging up.

"Let me guess, no answer," Dean predicted.

"I mean, how did Cas even get the Colt out of the safe in the first place?"

Dean drops his head, unable to look at his brother, causing Sam to raise his brow. He turns and looks at me, hoping I can give some answer. When all I can do is sigh, Sam turns to her brother.

"Dean, you put the Colt back in the safe, right? Dean?"

"It was under my pillow. I like to keep it close." Sam looks in disbelief while Dean sighs, "He came into my room and he played me."

"He played us all," I added, crossing my arms. Shaking my head, I added, "I just don't get it. Why wouldn't he just talk to us?"

"I don't know, but I say we find him and we kick his feathered ass."

"Dean, Cas wouldn't have taken the Colt if he wasn't going up against something big," Sam tried to excuse the angel's actions.

"Okay, I say we find him, figure out what's going on, and then we kick his feathered ass." With that, Dean left to pack, leaving Sam to look at me as if I'll have a different response.

"Hey, don't look at me. I agree with me."