Chapter 1: Broken Promises.

Zoya's POV:-

Love.

What is it?

Taking a place in someone's heart only to ruin their insides with shards of broken promises?

A million thoughts raced through my mind as I walked the dull terrain leading to my home.
To Yash's home.

Teak wood engraved in unadorned shapes greeted me, as I moved my fingers to touch the cold plastic doorbell button beside it.

Tring. Tring. Tring.

Madhu Arora, the mother of the man who had murdered my soul, opened the door and stood before me with an unreadable expression.

Was it pain? Hate? Annoyance? I didn't know. I didn't want to know. There was no need to know.

Without saying a word, I slipped by her side into the apartment. It was the same as always. Carefully decorated in a minimalistic modern style, it reminded me of Yash. Once a symbol of his devotion to his family and to myself, the way he had purchased it without a single thought when I told him to, years ago– it now contained nothing but lies of the past for me.

As I made my way to my room, Noor stopped me. She asked me about what had transpired in the last few hours, why I was in such a devastated state. I couldn't answer her questions. How could I? I had no words left in my mouth, no hope alive in my heart.

Could I tell her how her dear Appi was a fool? Could I tell her of the way I had foolishly run my mouth in front of Aditya Hooda, when I knew nothing but beautifully orchestrated lies? He had been right, I had been wrong. How could I tell her, tell my parents that their dear Zoya, the epitome of righteousness couldn't see the truth? Or rather, refused to see it.

Mahi said something, but I didn't hear much. I kept mum, continued to walk, entered my room and closed the doors behind me so that I could be alone with my self-deprecating thoughts.

Then, my feet took me in a daze to our wedding photographs, of Yash and I's most precious moments. I flipped through the pages, oh, we were oh so happy.

How he had said that we needed nothing but love between us, that we needed no one but our own company to live.

How he had said that he didn't believe in rituals, that his world was I and mine was he. And how I had told him of my desire to get married with pomp and splendor, in ceremonial bliss. How I had worn the symbol of our love, the mangalsutra of his name for the very first time, loving its touch and the way it felt– as if letting me know that we belonged to each other and no one else.

Alas, it had all been a painfully beautiful lie.

I had put all my hope in a sandcastle, and now reality's tide had washed it away.

Noor's POV:-

"Aaj toh hum us Aditya Hooda ko chhodenge nahin...usne pata nahin aisa kya bola humari appi ko ki unki yeh haalat hai. Aur Mahi, tum humari Appi se door raho. Voh bholi hain, seedhi hain. Tumhare iraade kitne nek hain, hum achchhe se jaante hain. Yaad rakhna, hum Noor Siddique hain, Zoya nahin."

My heart was beating at an impossible rate afyer seeing the lifeless face of Appi. I had never seen her in such a condition, in such pain and agony that any passerby could tell what was written on her face.

I always knew there was some truth to Yash Jeeju and Pooja holding hands, but I never thought he would think of divorcing Appi. Seeing the divorce papers had made my heart stop for a few seconds, I could only wonder how much of an impact it had made on Appi– whose whole adult life had been spent loving Jeeju. She had never done something for herself, never once tried to pursue any passions. For her biggest passion had been the love she held for him.

To break not only her heart but also her home, I couldn't comprehend in how many bits he had broken Appi into. The once lively and lovely Zoya had been reduced to a corpse of her former self, stripped of all the trust she was once able to put into people. Her world had not only been snatched away, but its very foundation had been destroyed to nothing.

I could only support her through this by being beside her. I couldn't inform Ammi and Abbu– they would pull her out of Mumbai and take her to Mussourie. She needed to get closure, and not run away.

But right now, I had to know one thing before anything else, what had Aditya said to Appi for her to be like this?
I needed to know, and he was the only one who could bring her out of this mess.

                                                    *  *  *

A/N: Hello, my lovely readers! Hope it was an enjoyable read! Let me know if you wish to see something specific, and I'll try to include all characters' POVs as much as possible. It makes the story more real and interesting, doesn't it? Please don't forget to upvote and comment if you enjoyed reading this!