Don't Go Breaking My Heart (Bradley 'Rooster' Bradshaw)

Summary: Five of the most important moments in your life with Rooster. All fluff, humor, and adorable energy, despite the title sounding angsty. Go listen to the Elton John song, the vibes fit.

****************

"C'mon, Phoenix! Payback? Fanboy? You can't leave me hanging, I need somebody to sing a duet with me."

"No way in hell Rooster. We're not going up there and making fools of ourselves."

I couldn't help tuning into the loud argument being had by the group behind me. I turned to find a tall, handsome man with a mustache standing and trying to persuade just one of his friends to go sing karaoke with him.

He wasn't having much luck.

"You know, if none of you go up there with me, I'll just have to go up there and do both parts myself."

"Great! Bob, get your phone out and record this, it's going to be gold-"

"Excuse me?" I said, standing and walking around the table where I'd been sitting to stand in front of the mustache man. My friends gave me incredulous looks, but I ignored them. "I'm sorry, but I couldn't help overhearing. I've been trying to talk my friends into going up there and singing with me all night with no luck too, and so if you need a duet partner... I'd be happy to step in."

"Seriously?" he asked. I nodded.

"Seriously."

"Then let's go!"

He didn't even hesitate as he grabbed my hand and headed up to the front of the bar, and I couldn't help the laugh that bubbled out of me. We got to the front, where people were taking signups, and he pulled me up with him before dropping my hand and draping his arm around my shoulders instead.

"Hey!" he said, yelling to be heard over the current singer and music. "We're- shit, I don't even know your name!"

He turned to me, dropping his arm from my shoulders with a wide-eyed look on his face, but I just laughed.

"It's Y/N!"

"Y/N, Rooster! It's nice to meet you!"

"Rooster?"

"I'm a fighter pilot, it's my callsign!"

"Oh! Well then, Rooster, it's nice to meet you too!"

He turned back to the karaoke people like there had never been an interruption, a massive smile on his face.

"We're Rooster and Y/N. Can we sign up for a duet?"

"Sure thing. What do you want to sing?"

He turned back to me and raised an eyebrow. I leaned in a little, so I wouldn't have to yell as loudly, and Rooster turned so my mouth was next to his ear.

"How about Don't Go Breaking My Heart?" I asked. Rooster whipped his head around to face me so quickly he almost accidentally kissed me on the mouth.

"That's perfect! I think I might love you for suggesting it."

I just laughed and leaned into him as he turned back to deliver our song decision. The karaoke people wrote it down, then gestured for us to wait until our names were called. We chatted by the bar for a few minutes, and then at last, we were up.

"Okay, so you're gonna be Kiki Dee, right?" I teased as we went up. Rooster shot me a grin as we took our mics.

"Honey, I'm pretty sure you're kidding, but you'd better be careful because I'll take you up on that in a heartbeat."