Seeing stars: Chapter 1

:) Girls <3

-------------------------------------------------------

The halls of the U.S.S 'Stellar whale' were as chaotic as can be, People rushing about as the space craft prepared for take off.

''Of all the things the Senate could name this thing, Why'd they pick 'Whale'?'' My friend and fellow junior medical attendant Johnathan muttered quietly beside me as we dodged around the ship's engineers who were rushing to and from parts of the space ship, Making sure everything was in order.

''I think it's a nice name, Paint a pretty image too, A whale swimming through nebulas'' Mary, The other J.M.A (Junior medical attendant) in our little group piped up, Speaking what I had just been thinking.

''Yeah but, What if we come across any aliens while out in space? I'd prefer not being in a slow moving whale if we have to get away quickly'' Johnathan reasoned, Reaching out an arm to push me out of the way right as a guard came rushing down the hall, Barely missing running face first into me.

I murmured a quiet thanks to him as he removed his hand from my person.

''We don't have to worry about being attacked anyways, The Stellar whale is a supplies ship, We shouldn't end up exploring much of the galaxy beyond space station 10-63, We're just going to be on this ship for a few days, A week tops'' I pointed out as we resumed walking towards the med bay.

''Real bummer that, I wanted to see some action, Not just sit around a space station, Tending to paper cuts and food poisoning all day'' Mary grumbled right as we entered the med bay.

''Oh that's not at all what you'll be attending to'' Our Senior medical attendant and essentially, One of our bosses, Alex laughed out from where they were busy securing the medical supplies we were bringing to the space station.

''Yeah, It's a good day when that's all you've got'' Jane, The second S.M.A piped up from where she was checking over an inventory list.

''What do you mean? I thought 10-63 was one of the stations that doesn't get to see action, Just a place where people live and stop at when they're not on their ships exploring the universe'' I commented, Stopping in my tracks to stare at my seniors.

I wasn't prepared or willing to see any action while out here in space.

The only reason I even agreed to get the schooling to get this job in the first place was because I wanted to help people. . .And because my only friend at the time, Mary, Wanted to join and didn't want to go alone.

Going about playing 'space explorer' wasn't what I signed up for.

''Oh it is, But it's also far enough outside of our solar system that a fair few ships make emergency dockings at it to drop off wounded who couldn't be properly treated 'on board' or at 20-90, Explorer ships and battle ships are much smaller than the space station after all, Can't carry as much medical supplies and still be quick and dart-y'' Jane reassured, Giving me a small smile as she spoke.

''Dart-y isn't a word'' Alex commented quietly, Earning themselves a light smack on the head.

My friends and I made our way to our wall mounted seats as our seniors bickered quietly amongst themselves.

The five of us were being sent up to space station 10-63, Just outside of the milky way galaxy, Roughly around one hundred and sixty three thousand light years away, Outside of our galaxy and sitting just barely at the edge of the outer halo.

It was supposedly a relatively calm space station, Small compared to it's very distant neighbor 20-90 who regularly deals with issues both from space stations in other galaxies and sometimes even alien attacks, Such is the price to pay for sitting outside the milky way's outer halo and in what is many times called the dead zone.