Should I ignore him? Should I answer him? Letting him know that he was right could possibly not end well. But ignoring all this would be impossible.

He could talk. Souls have never talked to me before.

Since the moment I realized that the strangers that frequently looked at me or that appeared at my house out of nowhere were only visible for me, I started ignoring them. Seeing dead people wasn't a new thing in my life, but hearing them talk to me was definitely something new.

"I thought you were more courageous, will you also disappoint me?" His tone softened. There was a familiar accent in his voice now.

"You can talk." I said staring at him.

He kept on looking at me with a funny expression on his face. I noticed that his crooked smile revealed just one dimple. But as much as his presence annoyed me, I had to admit that this soul was ridiculously gorgeous.

"Well, yeah, did you expect me to be mute?"

"Yeah, actually, you're the first one who has ever talked to me."

He frowned. "The first one?"

He looked genuinely surprised. He was, without a doubt, the most singular soul I've ever seen. Ignoring a soul that could actually speak was going to be hard. Although, I had to get over his ability and get rid of him.

"Maddie! This must be my lucky day." At the sound of my name, I turned around to see Wyatt getting into the room.

I forced a smile pretending that I wasn't talking to an empty room.

"I guess it is."

"You keep growing." He said and laughed.

"Seems that I can't stop it." He winked at me and sat down.

"Where have you been this summer? I didn't see you very often."

I had the opportunity to look back, where the soul was, to find an empty chair. I felt a mix of relief and disappointment. Wanting to ask him more questions wasn't exactly a good idea, but I couldn't help myself.

I'd ask him the same I always asked other souls; 'why are you following me?' Or 'how is it that I can see you?' And they always didn't answer. Most of the time they disappeared when I started asking.

More students entered the classroom, and then our British Literature teacher came in.

"Yo Wyatt, how's it going?" Drake greeted him. Now Wyatt's attention wasn't on me, thanks to Drake's interruption.

When I looked at the front of the class, my eyes found the soul again. Laying on the wall, staring at me. His dimple appeared and I hated myself for finding it extremely sexy. He wasn't a human being, or well, he wasn't anymore. It took a huge amount of effort to stop looking at him and focus on the class.

+++

"I hate him, I really do." Miranda told me whilst she sat on our lunch table. "Anyway, there's Mr. Perfection. Do you think he'll date Kendra this year? I mean, they had a terrible breakup with all these cheating thing. I'm sure he got over it."

I started eating my sandwich, I really didn't want to answer her question. I didn't care about who Leif dated, but I was 100% sure he would date Kendra again. They were the 'perfect couple'.

Everyone knew this and wanted it to happen.

"Put your tongue inside your mouth, Miranda. You look like a thirsty dog." Wyatt sat in front of us laughing at his own joke, while Miranda gave him a bad look.

"I don't have my tongue out, thank you very much."

Wyatt winked at me and shrugged.

"It looked like it, what do you think, Maddie?"

I bit my sandwich again. Wyatt started laughing when I pointed at my full mouth. Miranda elbowed me.

"Don't be on his side. He's just evil." I stared right in her eyes now.

"You two can argue whenever you want to, but don't get me involved in it. Since you decided to be more than friends last year and it fell apart, everything you wanna do is hurt each other. It's not my fight. Leave me alone." I gave my sandwich another bite so I didn't have to say anything else.

The day they finally realise that they're crazy for each other because none of them could get over their breakup, will be the day my life becomes easier. But then, I'd be the only single one again. My boyfriend, Jay, moved away six moths ago and I haven't talked to him since then.

"It's not about that! I couldn't care less about his tongue inside Katie's mouth when I didn't see him." Miranda said annoyed.

"I didn't have my tongue inside anybody's mouth, except yours, Miranda, but you don't want to believe me and I'm tired of defending myself." Wyatt stood up and left us alone.

"Asshole." She whispered, looking at him.

I hated seeing them like that. The three of us have been friends since I can remember.

"Listen up, Miranda, I was thinking, if you guys just talked about what happened without you accusing him, things could work out." I've tried this before but she always ignored me.

"I know what happened, Maddie. I don't wanna talk about it with him. He's a big liar." She gave a violent bite to her apple and kept looking at Wyatt. "Look at him, acting like he really fits in that table. I mean, who does he think he is?"

I followed her eyes. Wyatt was sitting on a chair, laughing at something a basketball player said.

"He's the only one in this school who has college talent scouts coming to watch him play basketball. That's what it is. Leif may be the big fish in the football field, but I don't see any college talent scouts knocking on his door. You can be angry at Wyatt, but he belongs to that table more than anyone."

Miranda looked at me. "Well, he can go to college with a basketball scholarship and fool every single cheerleader. I gotta warn them."

Her voice had a tone of defeat as she stood up heading to God knows where. I stared at her, thinking about how I could help them.

Someone sat next to me on Miranda's chair. I turned around, almost hoping it was the speaking soul.

Imagine my surprise when I realized it wasn't the soul, but the arrogant athlete.

ayyeee new fanfic