"Yeah," Julie's father replied. "We're still discussing it."

"Bueno. I'm off to Pilates." She blew a kiss. "Mwah!"

Carlos caught her kiss. "Oh yeah!" He pretended to bat it. "Wa-chow! It's gone."

Victoria giggled and kissed the top of Julie's head before saying, "Te quiero muchos." She left.

Carlos said to his sister, "So, Julie, wanna hear how I slid into home and was almost safe?"

"You're a good brother," Ray said. "That's not gonna work."

"I tried." He got up and left.

"Why didn't you tell me? You made me lie to your aunt."

"Sorry. I was gonna tell you after dinner," Julie replied.

"Yeah. Mm-hmm."

"I was."

"Honey, I know those classes can be difficult, but you still like music, don't you?"

"I don't know. Maybe."

"Look, we talked about this, you know? And how painful memories can be, but..." He inhaled deeply and exhaled. "You know, every time I see you and Carlos, I see Mom. It's like she's right here with us. But you know what? I love that. I do. And maybe if you'd give yourself a chance, you'll get there." Distant rock music played.

"What's that?" Carlos asked, entering the room.

Julie stood. "I must have left the stereo on in the garage. I'll go get it."

The rock music continued.

GARAGE

Julie yelled, "Guys! Guys, stop! Enough! Stop! Cut it out!" Reggie stopped abruptly and shouldered his bass. Alex stopped moments later with a final beat on the drums. Luke and Ruth finished last and smiled at the angry girl. "The whole neighborhood could hear you. I thought I told you to leave."

"Wait," Luke said. "People can hear us play?" Alex stood.

"Yes! And so did my dad and my brother!"

"W-W-Wait," Alex said as Reggie set down his bass. "Wait. So, only you can see us, but everyone can hear us? I mean, what kind of ghosts are we?"

"Who cares, man?" Luke said. "People can hear us play!"

"We might be dead, but our music isn't," Reggie said.

Ruth smiled widely and clapped her hands. "Well, looks like the band is back, boys!"

Luke pulled her into a side hug with a smile.

Julie's father entered and Julie cried, "Dad!"

"Hey," her father greeted. "Just making sure you're okay."

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just had to turn off the CD player."

He looked around at the instruments. "Wait. Is the junk that was in the loft?"

"Junk?" Luke and Ruth repeated in an offended tone.

He studied the instruments. "Some of this stuff's in pretty good shape." He tinkled the cymbals. "Hey, maybe we can make a couple bucks."

"What?" Alex asked. "Yo, stop touching my drums." He looked at Julie. "Tell him to stop touching my drums." Luke and Ruth pointed and Julie shrugged.

"I liked that song you had on."

"Sweet!" Luke exclaimed. "We're Sunset Curve."

"Tell your friends," Reggie and Ruth added.

"It's just an old CD I found," Julie replied.