ɢʜᴏsᴛ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀ ᴛʜᴇ ʟɪɢʜᴛ

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Yuri hits her alarm clock. "Yuri!! Time to wake up for school!!" Her mothers voice calls. "Coming.." Yuri mumbles. The year was 1980 and Yuri hated school. The only good thing about it was the club she did after school. Yuri was president of the literature club at her school if you could even call it a club. Her boyfriend, Ren, was the only other member and he hated reading and was only in it to hang out with Yuri after school hours. Their parents didn't know they were together and they were too scared to see out what would happen if they found out. So, the club was a perfect excuse. Of course, Yuri actually did enjoy reading and she even wrote poetry of her own. She especially loved horror books. Something about them brought her to another world. She felt like she was getting a tour of other thought patterns and minds when she read about people on fear. But, she was afraid that might come off too strong so she rarely spoke about it.

"Yuri come on! You're going to miss the bus!" Yelled her mother from downstairs. "I'm almost ready mom!" Yuri said rushing to button up her vest. Her school made her wear a uniform which she didn't particularly like nor did she particularly dislike. Rushing down the stairs she grabs her notebook and hurries into the kitchen. "Here's your eggs honey." Her mom says handing her a plate. "Thanks mom." Yuri quickly eats and then runs out. Luckily, she makes it to the bus stop in time.

SCREEEEEECH

The bus comes to a stop and its doors open. Yuri hangs the bus driver her 60 cents and finds a seat. On the bus, she starts to write a poem she had a dream about.

The tendrils of my hair illuminate beneath the amber glow.
Bathing.
It must be this one.
The last remaining streetlight to have withstood the test of time.
The last yet to be replaced by the sickening blue-green of the future.
I bathe. Calm; breathing air of the present but living in the past.
The light flickers.
I flicker back.

What to name it. What to name it. Yuri closes her eyes and softly repeats the poem back to herself. She envisions a street light. She sees herself, standing in front, facing the light. She feels the street light was old, like she was in post apocalyptic times and the street was the only thing remaining. Under the light she saw a blurry image of a small girl. She was almost see through. Like a- a- "That's it!" Yuri whispered to herself grabbing her pen. She saw she was approaching her school so quickly she jotted down:

The Ghost Under The Light

.