she handed them to me before looking through my shoes and belts, passing me my doc martens and a plain black belt.

"put it on. find me when you're done." she said hugging me before walking off.

i stood there for a moment before pulling on the clothes.
it took me a while to style it well enough but once i was satisfied, i searched for my sister. she was sitting in the kitchen, drinking what i assumed was coffee.

"see? what'd i say? you look good." she gave me a small, thin-lipped smile.

i looked at my reflection in the oven door.

i do look good.

smiling to myself and to my sister, i grabbed my phone and left

smiling to myself and to my sister, i grabbed my phone and left. i was walking to school whereas syd was getting a lift from stanley who was going with another girl from out literature class.

i strolled towards the school, hearing music blast from inside.
i turn a corner towards the main doors and walk to the gym, where there are fairy lights hanging from the ceiling and are wrapped around pillars.

i see syd sitting on the bleachers and i run over to her.

"hey." i smile, plopping myself down next to her.
"good, i thought you weren't coming." she laughs.
"i would never. so, wanna dance?"
"fuck yeah."

twirling our way to the gym floor, we intertwined between couples, performing cringy dance moves and laughing our hearts out. chugging alcohol and singing like no one was listening.

everything was great.

"need more fuel?" i laughed, as syd agreed and we walked over to the drinks table.

i was filling up a cup each for us when i noticed sydney looking past me. i followed her line of sight to find stanley, being ditched by his date.

as i noticed him about to go sit on the bleachers, sydney called him over.

he wandered over, plastering a toothy grin on his face.

"what up stan?" i mocked, my head swirling from the drinks.

"does he know about you?" i whispered to syd beside me.
"that i'm a superhero? you're the only one."
"cool." it was cool.

"hey stan, wanna dance?" syd asks as he nods his head and we wander over to the dance floor once more to be met by dina.

"stan!" dina calls.
"dina! you look, um- you look like a christmas tree."
"thanks dude." she replies, furrowing her brows but laughing.

a song comes on over the speakers, and stanley shakes his head.

"oh no. on principle, i just- i can't. sorry, this playlist is all over the map. i'll- i'll be back."

"i'm gonna go find brad." dina smiles and walks off, waving.