Steve Rogers & Lari: A Love Story

Scene 1: The Email- I, Lari glanced at the lengthy letter I penned to Steve Rogers, aka Captain America. I wasn't sure what really compelled me to look up the mailing address for fan mail, or to waste half a notebook's worth of paper to get to my final draft. Before I could change my mind, I had folded it neatly, placed it in the already addressed envelope and sealed it.

I doubted my words would ever reach Captain America directly, which is partly why I included my email address. But I doubt that anyone would actually read this letter, that I'd love to meet Captain America over coffee or take a walk in Central Park, out of uniform of course.

I actually wanted to do more than that. What woman wouldn't melt over that smile, that body, the whole saving the world on at least a biweekly basis thing? I didn't want to make some poor guy need brain bleach whose job was to send out "autographed" picture responses to fan mail, though, so you kept it G-rated.

Four days passed, and I kept busy as usual. I'd nearly forgotten about the letter to Captain America, but an email with the subject "Thank you for your kind words" from sender Steve Rogers caught my eye. I opened it.

Lari, Thank you for your kind words, ma'am. I do read and reply to all of my fan mail. I would like to meet you for coffee and a walk in Central Park, if you're still interested. Let me know.

Regards,

Steve Rogers.

At first, I wasn't sure if it was for real. Maybe someone intercepted the letter and was messing with me. The worst that could happen is getting stood up, though, and it's not like that hadn't happened before. I bit your lower lip absentmindedly at the best that could happen. That was about as likely as pigs sprouting wings and flying around downtown New York, though. I thought I might break the backspace key on the keyboard while trying to type a reply.

Dear Steve,

I'd still love to meet you for coffee and a walk in Central Park. Your schedule is probably busier than mine so you can pick the time and date. My phone number is (864) 505-5050 if you want to give me call and set something up.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

I glanced at the time. It had been almost an hour, and I probably should have left 15 minutes ago. Before you made myself late(r), I hit the Send button.

Chapter 2: The Call- I wouldn't admit it to myself, but I was practically tethered to my phone and inbox, waiting for a response of some sort. My phone went everywhere I did, even the shower where it wad perched precariously on the ledge. Lucky it didn't get waterlogged. Not that I was sure of what to do if he called while I was in the shower. Talking to Captain America, or rather Steve, while naked would somehow unpatriotic - like defiling an apple pie. But yet, erotic and stimulating. I wondered if he actually tasted like apple pie, Bomb Pops, the Fourth of July and all things patriotic. Eventually, I lossened up, stopped obsessing over my phone after 48 hours, and didn't check your inbox every 5 minutes. I realized I was too wrapped up in this possible date. Finally, Friday had arrived, the weekend was here and I had absolutely no plans. Especially, in the case Steve called and wanted to see me.
On Friday nite, I was curled up on the couch with a bowl of healthy snacks and a protein shake, half paying attention to a rom-com movie on netflix. When suddenly my phone started vibrating, then ringing. I snatched it up off of the coffee table. The caller ID revealed an unfamiliar number. My heart rate increased. Could it be him?

"Hello?" I answered, hopeful.

"Hello, it's Steve. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but things have been busy around here."

"It's not a problem. I've been busy, too." Knowing damn well that was a lie, but it sounded better than the truth.

"Do you have plans tomorrow afternoon?"