~10~

Sayuri POV

I crept down the stairs early the next morning, hearing the quiet scuffling of Asuma and Akida moving around. They both stopped when they saw me, hair messy and still in my outfit from dinner.

"I want to apologize" I started quietly, tapping my fingers on the back of the couch "I acted very selfishly, especially towards you Uncle Akida. And I'm sorry-"

Akida wraps me in a tight hug "it's fine Sayuri, I understand how you feel"

Asuma pats my back "you stay here ok? No funny business"

I laugh softly and nod.

Asuma glares at me "I'm serious about that, Kurenai is tackling some training at the Academy today so she'll still be in town"

A soft knock raps on the door. I know it's Kiba, he left about an hour ago to go home and get ready.

Akida opens it and exits onto the porch. Asuma gives me another hug "don't think I didn't know Kiba spent the night" he says quietly, giving me a wink as he pulls back.

I roll my eyes and laugh softly, approaching Kiba who embraced me tightly, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

I squeeze him against me and inhale his scent.

"We'll get them back alright? See you in a couple weeks, I love you Sayuri"

I press a soft kiss to his lips, meeting his Hazel brown eyes "I love you too Kiba"

"I love you guys too!" I shout over his shoulder to my two uncles standing on the porch looking very annoyed.

"We better be off" mumbles Asuma and Akamaru barks in agreement from outside

I give Akamaru a scratch behind his ears "keep an eye on them ok?" I whisper

Kiba squeezes my hand one more time and then they depart.

///

I scramble to get dressed, slipping my shoes on as I tie up my hair.

I have to hurry, can't lose their trail

My hand hesitates on the doorknob

You should stay here, they can handle this. You told them you'd stay out of trouble.

I twist the doorknob

But what if -

A shadow greets me and a finger flicks at my forehead.

I stumble back from shock

"What a bother" Shikamaru sighs, casually dressed but with his shuriken and kunai pouches on his legs. "We both knew you'd try to sneak off after them"

"What are you talking about?" I exclaim "and who?"

"Who do you think?" He enters the house and kicks his shoes off, closing the door behind him

Kiba...

Now I feel guilty, and also a little impressed, he knew I wouldn't listen and got Shikamaru to babysit me.

Shikamru sets down a convenience store bag on the living room table. Pulling out two bottles of chilled tea.

I sigh, there's gonna be no escape from him, so I can at least pretend to play along. I kick off my shoes and gesture around to where he has already sat down "make yourself comfortable, guess I'll go change since we're hanging out around here"

I was halfway out my bedroom window when I froze.

Shit

"You know, you're really not that discreet sometimes, especially when you're in a rush" Shikamaru says from my bedroom door, the shadows extending from his feet and connecting to mine. "Don't be difficult Sayuri, Kiba may have been the one to ask me to keep an eye on you but he's not the only one wanting to keep you from doing anything stupid"

He's right, I need to just stay here

"Ok, sorry" I mutter "you can let me go now"

The cold dissipates and I slouch back inside, sliding the window shut.

"You want breakfast?" I say half heartedly, brushing past him at the doorway

His hand on my shoulder stops me "hear me out"

I stop and turn towards him, crossing my arms

"I sent a messenger bird to follow after them, Kiba is gonna report back what they find if it's safe for him to do so, if something happens to them and we don't get a message then we'll go after them, alright?"

I nod happily "alright!"

Shikamaru sighs deeply, tucking his hands back into his pockets "you're so troublesome sometimes"

I nudge his ribs "sometimes?"

"Oh shut up, make me some breakfast and then we can play some Shoji" he banters

And then, and only because he's Shikamaru, did I make him some food and not punch him for saying it like that.

//

It had been 6 days since they had left.

I might actually go crazy if I don't hear from them soon.

I was down at the training fields with Makino Sensei, working on my shield endurance.

I call for a break and go sit back beside a shaded tree, leaning my head back and enjoying the soft breeze.

"Hey Sayuri" his words shock me as I jump to my feet. I hadn't even heard Shikamaru approach.

"Did something happen?" I question "are they alright? Are they coming back?"

He holds up his hand "if you'd let me get a word in woman"

I snap my mouth shut, twisting my hands together

"Kiba reported back that they found the kids"

Just the kids?

"Apparently your Aunt was captured or led the Forest Nin on a goose chase cause their trails part ways" he exhales, looking off into the distance "anyway, Kiba sent word that he wants us to meet them by a small village named Makkari. That's close to where they found the boys"

I nod excitedly my two little cousins! At least they're safe! "Ok so when are we getting them? Now right?"
I start marching back across the training field, waving bye to Makino

"We'll officially I'm the only one that's been given clearance, you're just a stowaway"

Hang on you guys! We're on our way!

——

First of all I apologize for the long Hiatus, i started college and the first semester whooped my ass. But here is a chapter that's been in my drafts for months. I have like two weeks till school starts again so im probably going to work on this book a bit