Is that what had happened to me?

Then, the darkness seeped in again.

↢ ᰔ ↣

The moon was shining bright over a beautiful ship. The Volkvolny. The wooden deck had an eerie effect in the dim moonlight. An invisible force wants to pull me closer to the ship, and I give in. The invisible force pulled me closer to the ship, and had me on the deck.

"Lyra!" Some voices call from below decks.

I feel sick to my stomach as I walk towards where the voices come from.

"Help us!" The same voices shout in fear.

Blood was coating the walls and running down the stairs. The wooden floor was rotting and decaying in my footsteps.

Some whispers ran through my mind, this world isn't for the living.

Something told me what I was looking for, I would find through the door at the end of the hallway. I move forward, as the ship rocks, forward and backward. The vines bursting through the wood were reaching for my ankles as I moved forward.

"Lyra! Hurry up! He's coming!" The door knob rattled, and someone or something was banging on the door.

I fastened my pace, and gently turned the door handle, afraid that it would shatter under the pressure of my grip. The door led to a kitchen, the fruit bowl on the counter had rotting fruit in it. My gaze wandered around the room, and found a body laying on the floor.

My younger self. Bleeding out from the neck and the stomach, holding my favourite toy when I was younger. A lion plushy. It had scratches on it and the fluff was coming out.

I walked further in and saw another body. A boy about the same age as my younger self. Blond hair, hazel eyes, wearing clothes fit for a royal. Saints, no. A tear left my eye, but I quickly wiped it away.

"Lyra!" The voices screamed again for further in, followed by a shriek.

I saw a trail of footprints, muddy and blood red. I practically ran, following the trail. I found my way to a dark room. Three bodies lay there.

Tolya's muscular form, a series of deep cuts across his torso, his leg in an uncomfortable looking position, and a sword in his hand. Tamar's body, her clothes torn, her eye balls rolled backwards in her head, dried blood oozing from her mouth.

And the third figure. Sturmhond. His clothes looked like they'd almost been ripped off, the cuts on his body showing, and they were still oozing blood. His face looked badly beaten up, and his arm was laying in a weird angle. He had once been handsome, I realised as I observed him.

I blinked back tears with a heavy heart, as I followed the other bloodied footprints. They lead me back out onto the deck. I saw a figure with their back to me, and it started to turn around.

"Oh Lyra, you should have joined me when you had the chance." I recognised the cool voice as the Darkling's. "You and I could have changed the world together."

"I won't let you complete me, Darkling." I spat.

"Someday it will happen. All the problems you think of? They're all in your head. The shadows and I control you."