Alex POV Chapter 1: The backstory

In ninth grade, it's the popular thing to want to be a hero, everyone wants to save the world, Who wouldn't? There are villains at every turn, and to make the world a better place you just have to fight the bad guys.

But by the time you graduate, about half the students have realized the world isn't as cut and dry as it seems. What if the best way to save the world is to start it over. After all, how can you save a world, where the heroes don't seem to care about the people they deem lesser than them, other than for publicity, and besides, wouldn't it be a little fun to watch the world burn at your own hands?

Alex was just like any other teenager entering high school, excited to grow up, get out from under their parents, and help save the world. Who wouldn't want to. All the heroes are looked up to, admired, and what early teen doesn't want people to love and appreciate them? As soon as Alex got his powers over the summer, he picked his super hero name. After all, if you basically get any super power you feel like, wouldn't you feel superior too?

One school over, there was this one kid who always caught Alex's eye. They were about the same age as himself, and could have been a hero in their own right, but somehow, it seemed they were always in their older brother's shadow. Such a twat that one. It ticked Alex off but there wasn't much they could do besides keep an eye from a distance. They were the one thing Alex always kept tabs on during the hero sports.

Over the next four years, Alex saw the life slowly drain from the eyes of the kid, whose name, they discovered, was Skylar, and although they never talked to her, they were the hidden reason that Alex decided if that's how heroes treated their sidekicks, he didn't want any part of that. But it wasn't until his only friend, Tasha, was killed to protect her assigned mentor, that Alex new he wasn't a hero, He was a villain. He would get revenge for Tasha, and save Skylar from that same fate.

The first step of this, was to fake his death, he didn't need people making the connection between his former superhero persona, Superior, and his new Villain persona, Draven. And the best way to do that, was to have Superior die in a fight with Draven, though not at Draven's hands, but rather, accidentally at the hands of his mentor, who was in all reality, way to low of a tier to be training Superior anyway.