Deanna watched as Sydney's face underwent a series of different emotions before her lips curled into a slight frown.

"She was my friend," the blonde shrugged. Deanna knew she was trying to play dumb and immediately put an end to it.

"You know what I'm talking about," Deanna raised an incriminating eyebrow at her. In fact, it worked. She was proud of herself, feeling power at being able to intimidate the girl who once made her high school life a living hell.

Sydney sighed and relaxed back into the couch, knowing they'd be there for a while. "What do you want to know?" she asked, dropping all hopes of making Deanna leave right away.

"Everything. From the day we graduated."

"Okay," Sydney sighed and thought for a moment.

[Flashback - First Day of Summer]

"I'm not drinking, Scott," Carly stood next to the table lined with various drinks, already feeling uneasy. Even the smell of alcohol could put her on edge. Her boyfriend scoffed, already halfway done with his first cup. They'd only been there ten minutes and she wanted to leave.

"Don't be such a wuss, Carlota," her boyfriend chuckled, shoving a drink in her direction. She set it down on the table and shook her head.

"I told you not to call me that," she mumbled.

"C'mon, Carlota. It's cute when you get frustrated."

"You shouldn't have a fucking girlfriend if all you want to do is pick on her and piss her off," Carly huffed, running a hand through her hair. Her heart was already pounding.

She'd never been a partier. Sure, she was popular. But only because she was pretty and she could get away with whatever she wanted. Most of the time, at least.

Carly rubbed her arm, feeling the bruises that had appeared there that night. She'd asked her uncle to go to the party. But unfortunately, he was already drunk out of his mind. He didn't take her 'disrespect' very well, and she ended up having to ice her bruises while hiding in the bathroom. The last place she wanted to be was here, but Scott had convinced her to sneak out.

"Carly, c'mon."

The small girl felt a tug on her arm and turned around to find one of her best friends; Sydney, standing behind her.

"I'm offering you a distraction, come on," Sydney whispered, nodding towards Scott. Carly smiled thankfully, following the blonde girl outside and sitting on the stone wall of the patio.

Carly liked to consider Sydney her best friend. Granted, if Carly wasn't a volleyball player she knew Sydney wouldn't give her a second look. But since she was, Carly tried to make the best of it.

"You okay?" Sydney asked, noticing Carly's distant gaze. The smaller girl bit her lip, looking up at the other girl and nodding.

"I snuck out," Carly sighed, shaking her head.

"So?" Sydney laughed, taking a sip from her cup. "Your uncle won't care. He doesn't care about anything you do, right?"

Carly nodded reluctantly. "Right," she mumbled. Because really, no matter what she did, he always found an excuse to hit her. Especially when he was drunk. Carly was terrified to go home that night and possibly be caught.

"Does he still drink a lot?" Sydney asked carefully. She knew about Carly's uncle after witnessing him lashing out on his niece at a sleepover.