1 • late night gigs

Start from the beginning

Phoebes eyes widened at the news. "That's great! Congratulations! You have a real job, what's that like?" she asked the blonde, making a small joke at herself.

A few people in the pub laughed, including the three at the table. The blonde sighed before answering. "Stressful." he answered truthfully.

Phoebe raised an eyebrow. "Oh- Do you mind me asking what you do?"

The blonde looked scared at her question and turned to face his two friends, silently asking if he was allowed to say. The friend who had originally spoke up nodded, giving him a reassuring look before he looked back up at Phoebe. "We're all racing drivers."

Phoebe's jaw went slack. "Oh so you're like- cool. Okay. Uh-" she began to jumble her words up, and paused, clearing her throat. "I'm gonna' sing now, before I embarrass my self in front of the three cool guys."

Everyone let out a small laugh at her expense, and as she turned around to make sure her equipment was working properly, she missed the shaggy haired boy at the table looking at her.

PHOEBE was packing up her guitar, waving goodbye to the bar staff who were making their way out. She slung the guitar across her shoulder and walked out of the pub, and towards the bus stop across from it.

Under the fading light of an old street lamp, she scanned the bus schedule for the day, checking the times of the last few buses. There were a few at 10 or 10:30, but when she checked her phone, the bright white numbers made her heart sink.

12:21

"Damn it." she muttered to herself. Running a hand through her hair, she ran a hand through her slightly curly hair. She bit her lip, thinking of a possible solution, before she heard a voice call out in the cold night air. "Hey!"

She turned around, to see the shaggy haired boy that had spoken up in the pub walking towards her. "Hey, you're the singer from the pub right?"

Phoebe nodded. "Yeah, I'm Phoebe, you were the racing driver right?" she introduced herself.

He smiled at her, "Yeah, I'm Lance. You were, great by the way. You've got an amazing voice." he complimented.

Phoebe had the usual comments now and again about her voice, and she could tell who was serious, and who was just being polite. She could tell his words were genuine, and it made her smile even more. "Thanks. I really appreciate it." she thanked him. She frowned slightly when she remembered that he had been sat with two others in the pub, but was now alone, "Where are you're friends?"

"Oh, they went home a couple of minutes ago, I had to take a phone call so I stayed back. But what are you doing here after hours?" he asked her back, teasing smile on his face.

"I had to pack up my stuff, and now," she gestured towards the bus sign. "I've missed my bus." she said, a half smile on her face. "Which is great."

Lance looked at her for a few moments, biting the inside of his cheek as he went through his options in his mind. "Do you, want a ride?" he asked.

She turned her head towards him, her hair bouncing slightly in the wind. "Seriously?" she asked, surprised that he didn't really know her and was offering her a ride in his car.