"Thank you, I'm just happy that it worked," you tried to say humbly, but not without mentally patting yourself on the back.

While horse hooves stomped and wooden wheels creaked, you and your father enjoyed a few moments of peaceful tranquility. It was moments like these, without a care in the world, that made all your training feel worth it. Yeah, the wins are fun, but the journey there feels more soul-enriching if that makes any sense. Though, the peace did not last for more than five minutes before deciding to speak up again. "You know," he said, "if you had been a son, I would've had complete faith in your ability to run and be the head of the family."

You knew you were far more than capable, but hearing those words actually come out of his mouth was a bit shocking. Though, that shock began to become bubbles of anger when you really thought about it.

Father, dear, while it's rare, women can take over as heads of families when their husbands die, and many of them prove themselves to be proficient in their role.

If he really wanted to, he could pass off the title of the family onto you. Though, that would be opening a messy can of worms. The title of man of the household will rightfully pass to your younger brother when your father passes. How would he react if his sister took his place? If he even allowed you to, that is. And that's not even mentioning how the public would react to this notion. So yes, Father could make you the head of the family if he was willing to do something controversial. But when there's a perfectly good heir present, why would he? Stirring up trouble or doing bold things was a line that Father wouldn't cross. He's much too prideful of a man to do such a thing and would shut down that idea immediately. It's all done in the name of the family, of course. Such a boring, cliche line, yet something that held weight in deciding any public activity you did.

He continued, "But if it means anything, I'd much rather have my daughter succeed me in our family's tradition of fencing than to have none of my children do it. Fencing runs through our blood and it's truly a shame that only you seem to inherit talent for it. Regardless, with this same carriage that has been used for 5 generations, worn out from all the distance that it has ridden, you will compete and win that trophy."

His compliment... made up for his previous comment, somewhat. It didn't leave much of an impact though and was pushed aside quickly when you began to wonder about something. "Have I become better than what you thought I would be?" 

"Why, of course!" He exclaimed. "Sometimes I wonder if we had a duel when I was younger whether you would have been able to best me."

"That depends on how young because, Father, you only quit fencing 13 years ago." You reminded him. The golden 1st place trophy for the Men's Annual Fencing Competition he polished daily said just that. It gleamed on its shelf, sitting there and reflecting the sun's rays every time you stepped into his office. A constant reminder that you would only be able to achieve a fraction of that, a much smaller and more childish victory in comparison. 

"Ah yes, around the time when you were born. I'm not as young as I used to be, but that's exactly why I decided to pass our family's fencing techniques onto you five years ago. Then you will pass the tradition onto your son-"

"If I bear any sons, that is. I'm willing to teach nephews if it comes to that."

"Well, if God grants it to be, we'll see."

There was just a slightly sour taste in his words, something that ticked you off. Thus, in a form of annoyance, you turned to your side to look away from him, at the rolling fields and trees making up the landscape. That was all there was to look at anyway, trees, greenery, the sky, and more trees. Then there was one. Something peculiar about one tree standing off to the side of the path. It caught your eye so suddenly, an oddly familiar feeling that pulled you towards it. You couldn't tear your gaze away from it, even looking over your shoulder to keep it in your sights when you passed by it.