Chapter Forty-Six: Uniforms and Yakisoba Buns

The next afternoon, Kiyoko and I left practice to go and pick up the Uniforms from the cleaners. 

I really liked Kiyoko, and always had, but we didn't really talk much, or spend any one-on-one time together. I spent the majority of my time with the boys.

"How are things going with you and Kageyama?" She asked suddenly, as we waited in line to pick up our order. I was surprised, because Kiyoko was not the type to start a conversation, by any means. She was the quiet, shy type, and a tendency only to talk when she was required to do so. Small talk was not something I'd ever heard her do. 

"Good! Yeah, they're going really well. Why do you ask?" I questioned.

"Just curious," She answered softly, "After seeing the way you two interacted at the beginning of the year, I wouldn't have thought the two of you would have ended up together. Now that you have though, I can see that it makes total sense." I smiled.

"Well, trust me, no one was as surprised as me." I said. She chuckled at this. "Kiyoko, if you don't mind me asking...do you have a boyfriend? I mean, its obvious that a ton of guys are interested in you. Surely you know that."

"Sometimes I wish I didn't," She admitted, tucking her hair behind her ear, "But no, no boyfriends. I've got more important things to worry about. No offense to you, of course."

"No, I'm not offended. I think that's cool. You're a strong, independent woman." 

"I don't know if strong is the word I would use." She replied. 

"I would," I said, causing her to glance at me, "Sometimes, if the lighting in the gym shines just right, I can still see the imprint of your hand on Nishinoya's face."

Much to my shock, Kiyoko burst out laughing at this statement. My eyes widened, as I'd hardly ever even seen her smile, much less let out the loud, boisterous laugh that she was currently trying to hide behind her hand. But nonetheless, here she was, laughing uncontrollably. I smiled, giggling along with her. 

"Sorry, I'm sorry...I just wasn't expecting that response." She said. I chuckled.

"I don't know that I've ever heard you laugh before." I pointed out. She shrugged.

"I take my job with the Volleyball club very seriously," She said, looking at me out of the corner of her eye, "You of all people can understand that." I nodded.

"That, I can." 

"You know...you're the main reason I'm not worried about who the manager is going to be after I graduate." I raised my eyebrows at this. "I know you can't commit to being the manager, with orchestra and everything, but...You're one of the most helpful people I've ever met, and I know you'll do whatever it takes to make sure everyone is at their best...including me and whoever will come afterwards."

"I don't need to do anything for you to be at your best, Kiyoko. You're an incredible manager." I said. She shrugged.

"I'm good at the grunt work stuff but...I don't inspire the boys like you do. Somehow, you always know just what to say to them." I shook my head.

"I think you're severely underestimating yourself," I stated, "I know for a fact that the entire team respects you, and its not just because they're attracted to you. You're a great manager, and yeah, you don't say much, but that makes what you do say that much more impactful. Losing you will be just as big of a loss for us as losing Daichi, Sugawara, and Asahi."

"You...Do you really think so?" She asked. I nodded.

"I know so." She smiled, tucking her hair behind her ear again.