𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐲 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐚𝐫𝐦

Start from the beginning

"Just up there," said George, pointing to a large black mass that rose beyond the village of Ottery St Catchpole.

"That does not look very enticing," Katrina whined.

They trudged down the dim, dank lane towards the village, the silence only broken by their footsteps. The sky lightened as they made their way through the village, its inky blackness diluting to deepest blue. Lyra's hands and feet were freezing, despite the many heating Charms Mrs Weasley had placed.

"You're very right with that," Lyra answered. "Should've gone with Mary and Remus, at least then I'd get to do side-along Apparition."

George gave her a small nudge with his elbow. "But then you'd miss out on this brilliant climb."

"And you'd be leaving me with them!" Katrina added, raising her eyebrows to emphasise her point.

"You say that as though it's a bad thing," said Fred, looking in the empty storefronts as they walked through the village. "You love our company."

There was a thick silence in which Katrina just stared at Fred incredulously.

"...Sure..."

George and Lyra had to stop themselves from laughing.

They didn't have breath to spare for talking as they began their ascent to the top of Stoatshead Hill, stumbling occasionally in hidden rabbit holes, or slipping on thick black tufts of grass. With every breath Lyra took, there was a sharp stab within her chest, and her legs were starting to cramp when at last they found level ground.

"Whew," panted Mr Weasley, taking off his glasses and wiping them on his sweater. "Well, we've made good time - we've got ten minutes..."

Hermione and Melanie came over the crest of the hill last, both clutching stitches on their sides.

"Now we just need the portkey," said Mr Weasley, replacing his glasses and squinting around at the ground. "It won't be big... come on..."

They spread out, searching. They had only been at it for a couple of minutes, however, when a shout rent the still air.

"Over here, Arthur! Over here, son, we've got it!"

Two tall figures were silhouetted against the starry sky on the other side of the hilltop.

"Amos!" said Mr Weasley, smiling as he strode over to the man who had shouted. The rest of them followed.

As they walked closer Lyra quickly recognised one of the tall figures. "Cedric!"

She used all the remaining energy packed within her bones and ran towards Cedric, enveloping him in a tight hug.

"Oh, it's so good to see you! I didn't know you were coming here!" she exclaimed, smiling brightly.

Cedric grinned. "It's the nearest Portkey to us, and since I didn't pass my Apparition test, we have to use it."

The rest of the group had arrived, and Lyra just barely heard Ron whisper something to Harry. "Who the hell invited Pretty Boy to our party?!"

She sent them a harsh glare before turning back to where Mr Weasley was introducing everybody.

"This is Amos Diggory, everyone," he said. "Works for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. And I think you know his son, Cedric?"

"Hi," said Cedric, looking around at them all.

Everybody said 'Hi' back, except Fred and George, who merely nodded. They had never quite forgiven Cedric for beating their team in Quidditch.