Chapter One

Natsuo was deep in thought, trying to figure out if he wanted to stay late and spend the majority of his evening at the library or see if one of his old high school friends were free for him to wait out dinner at their place. Fuyumi had texted him earlier saying their father would be home for dinner, she was always pushing to get them all to eat dinner together, but Natsuo wanted no part in it. It was the first day of his freshman year of university. He'd been looking forward to dorm life, but there was a minor setback and the dorms wouldn't be ready for two weeks. Just when he finally thought he'd be able to get out of that suffocating house.

His thoughts were interrupted as a shadow passed over him and he realized someone was standing before him and had just dropped their stuff atop the table he was sitting at. He looked up and was momentarily taken aback by the foreign girl before him. She had skin so pale he wondered if she'd ever seen the sun, her long hair was a vibrant violet color and her eyes were an intense green but the most startling thing about her were the tattoos and piercings. His gaze was drawn to an ornate tattoo encircling her neck that looked like black thorny vines digging into her skin with blood dripping down. It was so realistic he had to do a double take to make sure she wasn't actually being choked by vines. There was a simplistic smiley face tattooed on her left middle finger and a simplistic frowny face on her right middle finger. She had a hoop with a single red rose charm dangling from her septum, two tiny jeweled roses beneath both of her eyes and four simple white gold studs in canine bites around her lips. Her ears were littered with piercings, she had two industrial bars that looked like thorny rose stems and a plethora of smaller hoops and dangling earrings from various other piercings taking up nearly every bit of space on her ear.

"You okay over there?" She waved her hand in front of his face and he realized he'd been staring at her for far too long.

"Y-yeah, s-sorry." He recovered quickly before throwing her a curious look, "um, did you need something?"

"Checking out on the first day?" Her lips quirked into a sly smirk.

"Huh?" Natsuo glanced around and realized the other students were pairing up. "Crap."

She extended a hand to him and he noticed a pentagram with bright green thorns strangling it and red rose petals fluttering around it tattooed on her left wrist and a demonic looking black cat with a third eye tattooed on her right wrist. "Nell Thorn." She introduced herself once he was able to function properly and accepted her hand.

"Natsuo Todoroki." He replied in somewhat of a daze. There definitely hadn't been any girls like her at his highschool.

Nell took a seat across from him and kicked up her combat boot adorned feet on the chair beside him. His gaze fell on her fishnet covered legs, there were even more tattoos on her legs. He tore his gaze away and forced himself to look at her. Her lips were pulled into an amused smirk. "See something you like?" She winked and his cheeks flushed with heat.

Natsuo began to stammer.

A soft lyrical laugh escaped her pierced lips. "I was just teasing, you don't need to be so serious."

Natsuo joined in her laughter, laughing awkwardly. She was very strange. "Where are you from?" He asked after a moment.

"Is my Japanese that terrible?" She frowned.

"Ah! N-no, it's perfect!" He amended thinking he'd offended her before realizing she was teasing him once again.

"The States."

"And what brings you here?" He asked, finding himself curious about the strange girl.

"Think we should focus more on our assignment and less on logistics?" She smirked.