He wore a color Averie had never seen on him before—a pale blue button up with the first few undone. It was tucked into his usual dress pants but the color contrast made him look younger, handsome.

Malfoy must have felt her stare on him because a few moments later they locked eyes, his own trailing down her body—almost undressing her— smirking as he took in her bare legs, and then he turned back to the men he was conversing with, rolling up his sleeves slightly to show his built arms.

Averie had a hard time looking away, much to her surprise. He knew what he was doing.

When she finally did, she looked around the room some more. There were more people here than she had expected, all people who looked worthy to be at such an esteemed party. Waiters clad in white suit attire slipped in and out of standing groups, serving hors d'oeuvres, drinks, and whatever else on a silver platter.

Averie didn't know where the loud music was coming from, she assumed speakers were hidden somewhere.

A bar area stayed on the side, the bartender working aimlessly to supply the people with alcohol. Few people occupied the stools in front of the bar counter, but there was a head of fire kissed hair that was hard to miss, and Averie walked right over to her.

"Hey," she murmured.

Zara whipped her head around to the side where Averie was standing.

"What's up?" she said, gesturing to the unoccupied seat next to her.

"Did you expect it to be like... this," Averie waved her hand at the vast room. She scooted her stool a bit closer to properly hear her friend under the loud music.

"Definitely not but who's complaining?" she teased, fixing the thin strap of her navy mini dress.

The bartender came up to where they were seated, asking if they wanted anything.

"Straight vodka, please."

Zara raised her eyebrows at her order, a bit amused. "So are you an alcoholic?"

Averie laughed at that, she just didn't hate the taste— or the burn of vodka. "I don't mind it," she shrugged as she took a very large sip of the drink in front of her.

Zara's gaze softened a bit shortly after.

"Evie I'm really sorry about the designs, I truly didn't know they were similar to yours. I suppose I should have known though," she looked down at her lap, "Pansy gave me the ideas, said she thought of it overnight. I mean Pansy with incredible ideas? Why didn't I realize!"

"It's alright, Zara. I know you wouldn't have done anything like that on purpose," Averie reassured her, but her head was still down, looking ashamed almost.

"I feel bad-"

Averie rested her hand on her friend's thigh in an attempt to soothe her. It wasn't her fault, after all.

"You did nothing wrong."

She hand stroked her thigh, stopping right by the hem of Zara's dress.

She finally looked up, her eyes focused on Averie's. For a minute it was just that— them staring at each other, Averie's hand moving up and down on her bare thigh. She was sure it was just the effect of the alcohol burning through her system, but suddenly the air was much warmer around them.

Was she blushing?

What was going on?

She cleared her throat as she retracted the hand.