Chapter 2

"Oh wow, this is going to be tough!" Larry sighs, resting his head in his left palm.
We're all sitting in Emeri's study room, wondering where to begin.
"Well, you got yourself into this by agreeing to it." Emeri says. "But you're right, I don't know how we can do this in a week..."
"And whose idea was this all?" Edgeworth smirks at Emeri.
"Wh-hey! I..." Emeri pouts, then slightly changes the subject. "Miles, you have to help too! He's just as much your best friend as he is ours!"
"Um, Mystic Maya..." Pearly tugs on my sleeve. "Could you please remind me what exactly it is we're doing for Mr. Nick?"
"We're making a chocolate sculpture of him," I explain, "and then we'll hide it in his office on Valentine's morning and hide behind his sofa, and when he comes into the office, we'll pop some party poppers in front of the sculpture and jump out and yell 'Happy Valentine's Day!'"
"Although I'm not certain I'll be doing that..." Edgeworth mutters.
"Aww, come on, Edgey! Have some fun for once, for Nick's sake!" Larry nudges Edgeworth, grinning.
"Actually, I was wondering, there are a couple of flaws in your plan..." Edgeworth crosses his arms and taps his elbow. "How will you get into Wright's office before Wright does?"
"I have a key," I pipe up, fishing it out of my pocket and holding it up. "Nick gave it to me to use if he was out when I came to visit."
"Also, how will you transport the sculpture from our house to the office? It would be rather difficult to carry, not to mention odd. Someone would surely notice and tell Wright before he got to his office."
"We could always sneak in and do it overnight." I suggest.
Edgeworth shakes his head. "Again, there's still the possibility of getting found out. If anyone caught you sneaking in instead of going in during daytime, the news would reach Wright even sooner."
Emeri points a finger upward, arm bent at a 90 degree angle. "What if we worked in parts - head, arms, etc - then on Valentine's morning, we go to the building with Mr. Wright. We carry the parts in a few large suitcases, telling Mr. Wright we've accompanied him today to discuss some important evidence, then we tell him one of the pieces has dropped and ask him to find it in the car while we take everything else to his office."
Pearly's eyes shine with excitement. "Yes, and while he's searching, we can unlock the door to his office, assemble the sculpture, and hide!"
"Are you - really?" Edgeworth seems a little surprised.
"Sounds to me like it'd be a good idea." Larry says.
But something that Edgeworth's been saying this whole time has been bothering me. "But Edgeworth, why have you been saying 'you?' Isn't it 'we' and 'us?'"
"No, I...I don't think I'll be doing this with you." he says when a whip smacks his shoulder and he flinches.
"Mr. Miles Edgeworth! Do not be such a foolishly foolish fool!" Emeri imitates her adoptive older sister Franziska. (Where'd that whip come from?) "Come on, Miles, it's for Valentine's Day for your best friend. It's fine to stray a little from your usual self."
"Nick'll really appreciate it!" Larry adds, then his eyes light up. "He'll be so touched when he sees his rival acting that way just for him!"
"It's probably not going to be as bad as you think, Edgeworth - you might actually find it pretty fun!" I say.
"Pretty pearly pleeeease, Mr. Eh-ji-werth?" Pearly begs, using the plea phrase I use with her sometimes.
We're all staring at Edgeworth, wide-eyed. No one moves or speaks for a long moment before Edgeworth sighs in defeat. "...I suppose it wouldn't hurt to assist you."
"Aw, thanks, Edgey!" Larry grins and slings an arm around Edgeworth's shoulders, earning a glare from the latter.
"You won't regret it!" I reassure Edgeworth.
"So then, what are we waiting for?" Emeri holds up a full-body photo of Nick pointing and objecting. "Let's get started already!"