Not a Piece of Art

Hey everybody. I know I haven't posted in a while, and this is still a work in progress, so bear with me. I hope you enjoy it.

**************************************************************

Audrey-

Good morning, it is the year 2061 and, this is the year that we all die. How abrupt isn’t it? Announced on national television on new years day over New Washington DC, capitol of the United States since it’s predecessor's destruction.

Sounds crazy doesn’t it? Well, It’s where I live. And our lovely government doesn’t tell us why. There are plenty of rumours, but no actual official way we’re going to die. Will we be pulverized? Will the earth blow up? I don’t get it. But when they say something will happen, it usually happens. It’s one of the most controversial topics in the world.

But I prefer not to worry that much about it. I think the best way to live is to not always be happy or successful but to always experience the emotion that you want to. And right now I want to experience sleep.

“Good morning Audrey, it’s time to get up! Today is March 15th 2061,”

Yeah yeah I know.

The alarm clock blares all around me. The lights turn on. The fan turns on making me cold. I’m really regretting buying the “all around alarm clock.”

I try to huddle back into my lair of white bedsheets, but the temperature begins to drop and I spring out of bed to turn off the alarm. 7:20.

I have to be at work at 8:00. Oh screw you boring life. I work at my mom’s bed and breakfast. Since she and dad had five kids and hired a couple more workers, it’s not that big of a problem running it. Except we all run it. And every morning, at 8:00 we pour in, cook breakfast and await the rushing stampede of people going to eat, people signing in, people signing out... it’s a bit hectic. And because we don’t really have much money and possess such a focus on family, none of us really went to college except for my older sister Rita. I’m 19. The middle child. Then there’s Cody who’s older than both of us and Hugo and Ivy who are younger. Hugo and Ivy are both still in highschool so they don’t help with much other than cooking in the mornings. It’s very hectic.

I don’t live with my parents either. Too much hell. (And too much of their smooching)

So here I go, I jump into the shower and back out in less than ten minutes. I throw on a bra and t-shirt then pull myself into bell bottom jeans. (Oh, they were beginning to fit weirdly again. Must have gained weight.) I am “curvy” as they say it. I’m not skinny. But I’m also not weak, I move things all day.

I check the temperature outside and it’s 18 degrees C, or to those of you who have not yet adjusted to Celsius, it’s 64 degrees F. I pull on a jacket, shove my keys into my purse, then pull my dark hair into a pony tail and run to the front of my room to lace up my shoes. Then I dash out the door, closing it behind me.

7:38

I sprint down the stairs of my apartment complex.

I am at this point entirely and completely unaware of how the next few minutes will change my life.

As I open the doors of the apartment complex and speed into the street, I recognize the walk signal being on and speed up. Suddenly, from behind me, speeds a boy in dark clothing and blazing red hair. It startles me.

Less than a few seconds later, another speeds by. I reckon it was some sort of chase. Only then do I see that he is being cornered. The man in black recognizes that as soon as I do because there is another one running towards him from the other side of the street, and now he stands to fight.