Chapter 4 : This is how I disappear

Disclaimer: violence, MANGA SPOILER AND CHARACTER DEATH

Megumi?

Kazui thought to herself. Random flashes of memory being around a dark raven—almost black haired lady unlocked in her mind.

"Kazu-chan! Are you excited for your brother?" The lady asked while combing her hair from behind
"Mhm...Yeah!" She replied unable to contain her excitement. She wan't familiar of the idea of another sibling because from what his dad and the lady explained was she's going to have another someone in her life. From a child's perspective the idea of pregnancy, how it happens or how another person will appear in their life isn't exactly in her curiosity radar. That whole thing did not interest her, just understanding that there's going to be another person in their family was enough.

After Megumi's mother died, as a four year old she wasn't able to fully cope nor dwell further into it and just burried these stressful events of the past very deeply in her mind.

By the time she turned 8, as usual was Toji leaving her behind while he was away for a job. The longest that Toji was away for a job was 6 months but was approaching 12 months and he was still away . Even his colleague stopped to visit but there were mails with sufficient amount of money inside that came regularly. It was the only thing she was clung to for hope that Toji will be coming home soon, despite no indications anywhere in the envelopes that it was from Toji.

Another few months passed, the money envelopes stopped coming so she started to help around the neighborhood after school and relied on the little money they gave her for gratitude. For a kid her age she persevere to live but despite her independence and intelligence, she was still just a kid. With no one to support her, she was forced to ration food and dedicate her time into supporting herself. Fortunately, their long time neighbor, an elderly women took her in after becoming aware her living situation. She was kind enough to keep paying for Kazui's apartment with Toji to preserve what she had left to remember her family and provide for her as if she was her own.

9 years have passed, and Toji never came home. She's now a senior in high school, advancing two grades due to unparalleled knowledge, she living a mundane lifestyle as a teenager with her life revolving around school, friends and home. Despite being left abandoned at such a young age she still believed that one day Toji will be coming back for her.

Denji, the student council president stood besides her outside the school gate, "Are you going home?" He asked as he mounted his bike.
Kazui smiled at him making him blush, "Yeah."

Kazui came home to an empty apartment because the lady who adopted her decided to move to Tokyo but remained to support her financially. Kazui moved back to her old apartment where she lived with Toji, the place was basically a time capsule from the height markings on the door frame, to the drawings in the wall and half done repairs.

She shivered as she sat down on the couch holding a plate of cake in her hand and a box of matches in the other.

She sighed heavily, "Another year."
Regardless of everything that happened to her, she was grateful but she also felt selfish for wanting more, for wanting to have her family back despite everything she had. Kazui would honestly exchange the life she had at that point and live the unsteady adequate life she had before.

She lit the candle and closed her eyes and wished for the same thing she wished for every year on her birthday since the disappearance of her father.  The moment she blew the candle and opened her eyes, a knock came from the front door. Her heart skipped a beat and she quickly rushed to the door expecting her father will be on the other side.