Chapter Three: Lady Bites

Beginne am Anfang

Kale's fins drooped. "I get the feeling that you're about to make fun of me. If you think I'm that scary, I pray you never run into the giant squidfolk. My cousins aren't the most hospitable individuals."

Just then, something darted out in front of us, making Kale quickly lurch back. "What the-"

It was a small shark girl with pale brown skin and frilly collar-like gills around her neck. She wasn't that much bigger than Chrystal and I, but she jumped out at us and bared her jagged saw-like teeth. "Rawwwr! Fear me now, squishy squid and jellyfish! Tremble before me, for I am the vicious and powerful queen of the sea, Miwako! I'll tear you all apart in a single bite!"

We stared at her in disbelief. "Ummm...can we help you?" I asked.

"Get outta the way, kid," Kale grumbled. "We got things to do, places to be."

Miwako's pointed teeth were nearly bulging out of her mouth as she clenched them in anger. "How dare you! Just because I'm a cookiecutter shark doesn't mean I'm a kid! It's not my fault I'm so small! Just you wait, once I take down Susie and become the leader of the Lady Bites, all three of you are gonna be shark bait!"

"Am I the only one who's confused?" Chrystal asked.

Miwako swam off to a nearby group of sharkfolk, all of which happened to be female. They all were far bigger than the little shark, and they looked to have been through hell and back. Their bodies were covered in scars, and some of them wore loose fish hooks in their dorsal fins like badges of honor. Miwako faced down a gray-skinned shark lady who glared at her with her arms crossed. "This again?" she snarled. "How many times do I have to beat it into you? You're not gonna be part of the Lady Bites, and you sure as hell ain't gonna take my place as the leader. My patience is gettin' thin, so I suggest you scram before I decide to have you as a snack."

"You will do no such thing!" Miwako barked. "I'll take you down this time for sure!" She charged at the large shark lady, only to be smacked away by a single swing of her tail. Soon enough, her fierce glare met us watching nearby. "What are you lookin' at? You got a problem?" The other shark ladies turned their attention toward us, swimming in closer. It didn't take long for the three of us to be surrounded.

Kale snatched Chrystal and I from his shoulders and clutched us tight to his chest. "We're not here to cause any trouble, we're just passing through. I'm not in the mood to become calamari today, if that's alright with you ladies..."

"That must be Susie," I pointed out. "It looks like she's a shortfin mako sharkfolk. I haven't seen too many of them, I think they're endangered."

"This is our territory," Susie hissed. "Folks don't just 'pass through' here."

Chrystal didn't show a shred of fear. "We're trying to get to the Antarctic Ocean. We are messengers of Princess Tamayori of the Sea of Japan. We really have no business with any of you, and we've already had enough delays."

Susie scoffed. "I don't give a shit about your princess. You wanna get through here? Your supplies. Everything you got, hand it over now."

We didn't have much of a choice. Begrudgingly, Chrystal and I reached for our satchels to give up everything we had, all of our food, medicine, and other supplies, everything except for the messages in the clamshells. Before we could hand them over, Miwako darted into the picture once again. "I want to challenge you one last time! If I win, I get to take over as leader of the Lady Bites! If I lose, I promise I'll leave you alone for good!"

Susie's attention quickly shifted. "Ugh, fine. If it keeps you from irritating me anymore, then I'll play your little game. I ain't gonna go easy on you just because you're small."