Chapter 12: The Battle of the Experienced

En başından başla

The punch passed next to Junpei's face, nearly missing its target.

He eyed the bulky arm that had stopped right next to his head, while sweat formed on his forehead.

He gulped down; if the trajectory of the demon's punch had shifted even a few centimetres to the side, his head would've been cracked open.

Quickly, Junpei leapt back to create a distance between himself and the enemy. But before he could do so entirely, the demon swung its arm outward, chasing after Junpei.

"——ugh...!!"

Junpei just nearly arched his upper body backwards, closely avoiding the demon's swing.

Now the demon's body was wide open — Junpei kicked the ground and charged in, brandishing his sword.

——Stone Breathing, third form!

——Rock Carving Slash—!!

Two consecutive powerful swings, forming two slashes of the shape 'x'.

The demon quickly guarded its neck with the other arm, blocking Junpei's attack — it had anticipated that his attack would be aimed towards its neck.

Junpei gritted his teeth.

—It happened again....!!

He retreated right away before the demon could counter him with another punch. He stepped back a few meters while the demon stood in place.

—This one knows how Demon Slayers fight...!!

He thought as he panted heavily; fatigue was building up in his body as a consequence of releasing two consecutive Breathing Forms in such a short time.

"......though."

Junpei muttered as he looked at the demon — its left arm that had taken Junpei's sword attack was cut open in an 'x' shape, while the flesh wriggled around the wound as a result of its healing factor. The demon bared its teeth annoyedly at Junpei.

——That doesn't mean it's invincible.... My attacks are working; I can damage it!!

Junpei's mouth formed into a weak smile in between his heavy breathing.

——I can fight...!!

"——ah?"

Junpei frowned as he saw the demon's single eye narrow away from Junpei, staring at something else.

—He was too caught-up in his thoughts that he realised his mistake too late.

The demon was looking at the unconscious youth on the ground, Taishi, who laid a few meters away from it.

And because Junpei had retreated too far, Taishi's body was closer to the demon than he was.

The demon's mouth widened into a massive, sadistic grin.

It reached at the unconscious boy with its large arm, grabbed him by the head, and lifted his body into the air.

Blood soared into Junpei's head.

"————I won't let you!!!"

He rushed forward with his sword, his expression twisted in anger.

——Stone Breathing, third form.

——Rock Carving Slash..........

CLANG——!!

The demon had swung its arm violently, its fist colliding into Junpei's sword right as he was about to release the same Breathing Form from earlier.