Pride

A/N: It is June as of me publishing this oneshot, which means that it is currently Pride month! So, I'd like to wish all of my guys, gals, non-binary pals, and anyone else a very happy Pride month!! In honour of Pride month I whipped up a little oneshot and I hope you all enjoy it! Remember, you are all valid and loved :))

L sat at his desk, eating his usual plethora of desserts as he flipped through various binders. They contained cases from many countries around the world that wanted his assistance. He had spent the last hour setting aside a few binders with cases that had the potential to be interesting, although none of them really piqued his interest.

"This morning, Shinjuku is closing its streets for a very special event." L heard softly from the television, interrupting his work.

L reached over for a cookie and briefly glanced at the tv. He saw the local news station showing a picture of a huge crowd filling the streets of Shinjuku, many of them waving different colourful flags. Curious, L grabbed the remote, increasing the volume.

"To celebrate Pride month, Shinjuku is closing many of its streets to hold a pride parade. Anyone and everyone is welcome to come join and march to show their pride," The newscaster said.

A parade? L raised his eyebrows in interest as he munched on his cookie, continuing to watch the news.

"The parade started at around 9:00 this morning and will continue until 12 in the afternoon," The newscaster continued. "Many bought their own flags to wave in honour of the occasion. As well as dressing in various colours to match their flags, to represent who they are. We will now bring you live footage of the parade."

The television screen cut to a live video of a mass amount of people dressed in vibrant colours, walking down the middle of Shinjuku's streets. Some smiled and waved as the camera panned to them. While others proudly waved colourful flags, some even kissing and embracing their partners regardless of who they were, without shame.

L looked back to his bedroom, where his own boyfriend, Light, was sitting quietly on their bed reading a book. He was waiting for him to finish work so they could spend some time together. The parade's broadcast made L think about all the times he and Light went out in public together.

They never really embraced each other the way he saw many people doing so on tv, but that was for a variety of reasons. One reason was that L and Light weren't huge fans of public displays of affection in the first place. Even if they were, L doubted Light would be comfortable kissing him out in the open.

Although, L couldn't help but wonder what it was like to live in a world where he didn't have to worry about other people's opinions regarding his relationship and the people he was attracted to. A world where he could simply kiss his boyfriend in the park without having to worry about some person yelling at them, saying what they were doing was wrong or disgusting. Even if they weren't doing anything out of the ordinary in the first place.

Granted, there are many other reasons why both L and Light don't participate in public displays of affection. But both of them would be lying if they said society's opinions weren't a factor as well.

But now, as L watched the television, he saw an opportunity where maybe, just maybe he could be out in public with his boyfriend and the people around him wouldn't care. In fact, he would be surrounded by people who were just like him. People who understood the hardships he had to endure.

L stared at the bedroom for a few moments and decided to go inside and talk to Light, grabbing a box of pocky from his desk on the way there.

Light heard soft footsteps and immediately closed the book he was reading. He thought L must have been done with work and saw him come inside the room. Before he even got a chance to greet him, L started speaking.