"No?" I ask in confusion.

"It isn't in here," she complains.

"I organized the fridge for us. It's on the bottom shelf," I say.

It's silent a moment and then I hear some glass moving followed by the fridge being closed. I know she has it now. 

I turn back to my TV show, not even wanting to watch it anymore.

"What did they say about Dad?" I ask curiously.

"Like it matters what they say," she rolls her eyes.

"It does matter what they say-"

"Always an attitude," my mom touches her forehead in annoyance. "I'm not dealing with this right now. I'm going up to lay down." She swiftly turns away and leaves me alone downstairs.

I guess I'll have to call my dad and ask, even though I don't want to bother him. I don't know if it's a good idea to visit him after my mom most likely flipped out at the staff.

"Hello?" the sound of my dad's voice comes from the other end of the line.

"Hey, Dad," I say with a smile.

"Zion, hey," I hear the smile in his voice as he tries to mask the pain he's in. I know he's gotten pretty depressed recently, but he keeps up this facade with me to help me stay strong. "How are you?"

"Good," I say. "I spent the night at Jess', so I'm sorry I wasn't there this morning."

"It's okay. Your mom told me," he says. I nod. "How's Jess?"

"Good," I say. "How are you? What did the doctors say?"

"Oh, your mom didn't tell you?" he asks wearily.

"She went up to bed," I simplify the story. "Headache."

"Um, well... The doctors said my blood pressure spiked again and they think I may have a fever, which means-"

"You're staying for another few days?" I ask with a frown.

"Mhm," he responds glumly into the phone.

"Then, can I come visit now?" I stand up, ready to go.

"I think it's just tests and resting for the remainder of today, Star," he uses his nickname for me. "I don't know if they'll allow visitors. How about tomorrow?"

"Yeah," I say with a false pep. "I can come tomorrow."

"Okay, I look forward to it," he says. I can tell he's tired and really not in the mood to talk.

"Me too," I say. "I love you, Dad."

"I love you, too, Zion."

The call disconnects and I sigh. I miss him so much. We're so close, yet so far. And it's been like the for a while now, with him in and out of the hospital for checkups and chemo and everything in between. 

His hair has totally fallen out and now he wears a wig, so you'd think the chemo would be working really well, but instead he hasn't seen much change and this just happens with some people. 

I just wonder why it had to happen to my dad, a good person, my rock. 

Robby to Zion: Hey, is your offer to be a tour guide still available?

⭒⭒⭒

I drive to the address Robby gave me since he doesn't have his own car. It's on the other side of town and I see him walk out of the house filled with boys.