Chapter 9 - Photo of Sabine

Start bij het begin

Jane,  

I fell as though I owe you an apology for leaving without an explanation the other night at the military salute. I also write to say ‘thank you’.

You may or may not have noticed my absence but it was because I received an urgent letter from Sabine’s governess at Southerby House. The letter informed me of a grave illness that Sabine had been diagnosed with – scarlet fever. I’m sure you have heard of many cases of the child killing disease and you knew why I had to go straight away. The good news is that she seems to be getting a little better each day.

The reason I wish to thank you is because I knew exactly what to do when I read the letter, I knew where I had to be and I wasn’t afraid, and I owe that all to you. I think I just needed to say everything aloud, say the story, say what had killed Eleanor, I needed to hear it from someone else that I was not to blame, and you have shown me that, Jane.

Sabine does not yet know who I am but I will tell her, I don’t know when, but I will. She is so beautiful, even covered in rashes as she is. You should see her ... in fact, you should visit. I want to thank you properly in person. I extend an open invitation to Southerby House to you and your family to stay as long as you like.

I would ask your help one last time, if you could write me back telling me the correct thing to say when I tell Sabine who I truly I am I would be forever in your debt.

Yours,

Daniel.

He folded the letter and put it in his jacket pocket. He would seal it in the morning and then send it to London. He hoped Jane would accept the offer, he didn’t even mind if she brought her family, he just would like to get to know her better. She spent an entire morning listening to him; he would’ve liked to have spent several mornings listening to her.

He crossed the room back over to his chair and sat down. Sabine was asleep and turned towards him. With her eyes closed she looked like such an innocent, but when she was awake she showed such strength and determination, it proved to him that she was not going to give into the disease without a fight.

“My Lord,” said a voice at the door. He turned his head to see Miss Porter standing there with a steaming cup of tea. Miss Porter was a woman in her late fifties who had cared for Eleanor when she was younger as well. Eleanor had insisted that she be hired to care for the baby when he or she was born as well. Daniel didn’t mind, Eleanor had turned out so perfectly that he knew he could trust Miss Porter with his child.

“Come in, Miss Porter,” he smiled slightly. He had been very short with his staff the past few days, the stress and fear was getting to him and he wasn’t very patient.

Miss Porter entered the room and walked over to him, holding the tea cup out to him. Daniel noticed how she hadn’t changed very much in the five years since he’d seen her – granted she arrived a few days before the baby was born so he didn’t remember her that well. Her black hair was still very much that same colour and her green eyes were still sharp and aware.