Doug the Vampire Hunter

"This is the unholiest abandoned veterinary hospital I've ever seen. I'd put the chances of seeing Canus Spectralis, ghost dog, at total max. Somebody's here. I smelt it... but the spirit world dealt it."

I glared at Rory next to me and snatched the chips from him that he was chewing very loudly. He looked at me in disbelief.

"Vampires don't even need food!" I snapped.

"You know I'm a stress eater," Rory said nervously.

I got closer to him so that he could wrap his arm around me. He smiled and held me close to him. I laid my head on his shoulder as we continued to watch the episode.

"Scare Finder Rule Number Eight: don't be afraid of scares."

"Doug's fearless. He's a machine designed to, like, delete fear from itself," Benny explained.

"Hey everybody! We're live outside the door of this year's Day with Doug winner. This superfan gets to hang with me and go on a scarefind in his hometown."

At the same time the person rang the doorbell on the TV, the doorbell rang here as well.

"Oh, come on!" Ethan sighed. "Who would bother us now?"

"That kid must have a crazy luck bonus. Like, a plus six!" Rory said.

"I automatically hate this jerk. He should be me and he isn't," Benny said frustratedly.

"Hey, big man! Name's Doug Falconhawk!"

I covered my mouth to keep myself from gasping. Doug Falconhawk was famous for finding the supernatural. What if he found out about me, what if he found out about Whitechapel's secret?

"Ethan. You'll never believe who won the contest," Benny raised his voice.

"Hi," Ethan said awkwardly.

~~~

"Rule Number One: scares don't find themselves. But you can bring them to you, if you have the right bait," Mr. Falconhawk started as Ethan walked into class. "A recipe for wicked ghost action!" Doug said excitedly.

"You should spike it with vervain, Doug. It also makes for a sweet vampire repellent," Benny commented. "So I've heard."

I glared at him as Rory almost fell off his chair. I supported him under the arm, making it look like he just wrapped his arm around me.

~~~

"Sarah, why are we doing this?" I asked as we lunged at another rat.

Sarah sighed at our failure and took out a box, both of us sitting against a gravestone. Sarah attempted to put the straw in, but failed. She threw it off to the side and Erica caught it, appearing out of nowhere.

"You should recycle instead of littering in our green spaces," Erica advised.

"Sorry. This slop is making me nuts. And slow! I can't even catch a rat," Sarah explained.

"Go bug the nerd king. He can just science you up something new," Erica pointed.

Sarah sighed, knowing it was true.

~~~

Sarah rang the doorbell and Ethan answered.

"I need blood, help me!" Sarah said, a mix of anger and desperation in her tone.

"Sarah. Doug's gonna see you!" Ethan squeaked.

"Oh, no. I'm paralyzed by terror," Sarah said sarcastically.