Hogwarts is calling your name

Începe de la început

Some old staples in her Hogwarts trunk were replaced with newer items of clothes from her wardrobe in the house - the ones Adelaide snuck in when she was at school, and then she'd had to trek down to the Orangery for everything else. Collecting her sketchbook, James' Quidditch blanket, and anything else which she'd need, Ellie shoved so much in her trunk, it nearly didn't close, and she ended up having to lie on it as she did the buckles up. Huffing when she finally managed it, she collapsed back onto her mattress for the last time for months.

It felt so strange leaving the Orangery after it being her world for so long, and she wasn't entirely sure she was actually ready to go yet. Who will water the plants? Who will keep my bed warm? Who will fill the glass walls with works of art? It was her safe space, and not having it to escape to on bad days was a daunting prospect.

School meant copious amounts of work and exams to contend with; school meant having to be able to focus for long periods of time and stick to schedules; school meant enduring the whispers of other students about why she was gone for so long and the ugly stares that came with that.

All of it felt very overwhelming as she prepared to say goodbye until Christmas, unable to actually bring herself to leave. She'd miss everything about the place her mother had created for her - the last gift she'd ever receive from Adelaide. Being forced to leave it behind felt cruel, but she knew there was no other way. She'd had seven months to grieve and wallow, seven months to have space to heal, and now the real world needed her back. Living in some made up fantasy land wasn't an option long-term, whether she wanted that or not, and Hogwarts was calling her name.

"Is Miss Ellie okay?" A squeaky voice made her jump, and Ellie whirled around on the spot to see a very timid looking Clementine by the doorway.

She'd been so good to her and Cyrus over the last few months, working extra hard to look after them, when otherwise, they wouldn't be able to look after themselves. The family would always be grateful to the sweet house elf.

"I'm not quite sure I'm ready to leave yet Clementine." Ellie didn't draw her eyes away from the glass structure, almost wishing somehow there was a way to shrink it down and take it with her.

"Mr Cyrus won't make you go I don't think..." The sweet house elf rang her hands as she spoke quietly, "Clementine likes seeing Miss Ellie all the time. Clementine has been very sad without Mrs Adelaide."

"I've been very sad without her too."

There was a thick silence that fell over them both, Clementine desperately trying to hold back tears by wiping at her huge eyes periodically. There wasn't one person that knew Adelaide that wasn't affected by her death, there wasn't one person in the whole world that would've rejoiced about it. She was a loving soul, and everyone had been touched by it one way or another - there weren't enough gentle words to make her passing any easier.

"Mr Cyrus has sent me to get you though. It's time for Hogwarts." Clementine sniffled as she squeaked even more high-pitched than usual.

"I'm coming, just give me a sec."

As she stood in the doorway, ready to leave her haven behind, something caught Ellie's eye last minute. Lying on the stool in front of her easel, was the ugly mustard jumper that Remus had sent her right back in February. He'd never asked for it back, so she'd assumed it was hers to keep, and it had remained as sacred to her as it was back then. Quickly rushing to grab it, Ellie threw it over her head, poking her fingers through the holes in its sleeves once more. It was rather warm outside for thick knitted jumpers, but she'd put up with the heat in exchange for the comfort the item brought.

"Here she is!" James exclaimed loudly as everyone gathered outside of the Potter's, "Thought you were going to be a no-show Cubs."

"I had a few last-minute things, is all."