Life at the Manor

I woke up and forgot where I was for a moment. I had been dreaming about my dad again, that he had been released from Azkaban and we were back living at 12 Grimmauld Place living a happy life. Even though I can barely remember him, I miss him.

My life wasn't dreadful with the Malfoy's, they have always given me everything I needed, but I always knew they didn't like me because of my father who they referred to as "the blood traitor" and I hated that. Lucius really didn't like me and sometimes instead of calling for their house elf Dobby to do chores around the manor he would get me to do them, and it always felt like a punishment for even being born. It made me feel like a burden.

I was a burden they never wanted me in the first place.

Every morning Narcissa had Dobby and I prepare breakfast, it was the same for lunch and dinner. I had become friends with Dobby from spending so much time with him and I hated how they treated him. Lucius would beat him for absolutely no reason, it nearly looked like he got a thrill out of doing it.

I got up and got washed and dressed for the day. My clothes were picked out by Narcissa as she said I had to at least look like I belong in the house. I didn't own a single pair of jeans, everything was either a skirt or a dress and it was always very smart looking and nearly always black. I decided to wear the most casual thing I owned as it was a Sunday and only 2 days until my 11th birthday, the day I get my Hogwarts letter .

I got dressed into my plain black t shirt dress and went to meet Dobby in the kitchen. "Good morning Dobby"

"Good morning Miss Black, you look very nice today" Dobby replied

"Thank you very much, what are we making this morning?" I asked

"Porridge Miss"

"BORING" I yelled which made Dobby laugh.

When Draco and I were little we were best friends and nearly inseparable but as we started to grow up he was listening to his father talking about my father to Narcissa and things slowly began to change and he eventually stopped talking to me altogether, I missed my little cousin, but he hated me now. I was lonely.

After breakfast I went outside and sat under the big tree at the far side of the garden, it was where Draco and I used to sit and play wizard chess. It was quite a nice day for being the end of November in England. I was reading a book about Hogwarts, and it was making me even more excited about being able to go there next September. I couldn't wait to see the enchanted ceiling and meet the ghosts. Lucius was always ranting and raving about how Slytherin was the most superior house and how the others were where the "blood traitors and mudbloods" belonged. My mother and father were both in Gryffindor and I prayed that living with the Malfoy's hadn't ruined my chances of becoming a Gryffindor just like them.

*

Two days later it was finally the 28th of November and I shot up out of bed, got washed and dressed as quickly as I could and ran into the drawing room where Narcissa was sitting reading the gossip pages of the daily prophet.

"Has it arrived yet?" I asked excitedly.

"No! Go and do something to keep yourself occupied and out of the way while you wait" she replied.

Not even a happy birthday from the woman. At least I didn't have any chores or meals to prepare on my birthday, it was the only birthday present they ever gave me. I went into the kitchen anyway to chat to Dobby.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY MISS BLACK" he yelled with a big grin on his face while holding a cake.

"Thank you so much Dobby, is that for me?" I asked.

"Of course it is Miss. Dobby made it for your birthday, it's your favourite triple chocolate".

I ran over and blew out the candles and he cut me a slice but wouldn't have a piece himself out of fear of being beaten by Lucius.

I finished my piece of cake and cleaned my plate, as I was drying it I heard the hoot of an owl at the window, and I looked up I could see the red Hogwarts stamp on the back and rushed to open the window. I took the letter from the owl and gave it a treat and it flew away again.

I ran into Narcissa to let her know my letter was finally here and to open it. Lucius was sitting in the other armchair now reading the other half of the daily prophet. He snapped the top half of the paper down so quickly it startled me slightly, he looked disgusted at me. "Well what are you waiting for?" he snapped at me.

I opened it and read it aloud

"Dear Miss Black, we are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins 1st of September. We await your owl no later than the 31st of July. Yours sincerely Minerva McGonagall Deputy Headmistress"

Lucius grabbed the list of books and equipment "This is a lot of money, you will have to work for your equipment. After today you will clean the bathrooms once a week until the start of July" he said with firm tone.

*

It was finally coming up to the end of June and it was safe to say I had definitely had enough of cleaning bathrooms, ESPECIALLY Draco's. His bathroom was always a mess, he somehow was able to get toothpaste and hair gel everywhere. Although I think he was doing it deliberately, just to be mean. When I was finished cleaning the bathrooms, I always went out to the big tree in the garden to read my book for the rest of the day but today I was only out there for 30 minutes when Draco came out.

"My mother wants to see you" he said through gritted teeth.

I went into the drawing room where Narcissa was sitting. "I think you've earned your trip to Diagon alley, we shall go tomorrow".

"Oh, thank you so much Narcissa" I said with excitement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are reading this first off.......THANK YOU and I really hope you like it. Secondly.....this is the first time I have ever written anything so please bare with me I'm learning as I go here. 

I know where I want the story to go and already slightly know how the ending will go but I have no idea how we're getting there yet lol. 

DISCLAIMER

I do not own any of these characters except Melissa. The rest belong to J.K Rowling.