II. TO DANCE, OR NOT TO DANCE

En başından başla

Ascella begged to differ. She never much liked dances. She loved the dressing up but there was always too many people pointing and whispering for her to find them enjoyable.

When the girl first arrived in London she was desperate to be accepted, so she was friendly, polite and quite, doing everything to keep her reputation. She avoided the invasive questions on her families whereabouts and her previous home. She was the perfect girl. Well, that was until the gossip became to much. It was not the things said about herself that bothered the girl but the nasty words directed at the Herondales, the very family that took her and her brother in, treating them with nothing but kindness.

Catherine Townsend was the last straw. They were at dance hosted by the Wentworth's. The evening was a bore and she stood chatting with Anna Lightwood, a girl she was growing rather fond of and was quite possibly the only reason she had made it so far into the evening. They were near the refreshment table, talking distance away from where Catherine and a few others in pastel dresses stood. They were laughing and Ascella couldn't help herself but to listen in. Catherine covered her mouth with gloved hands as if to share a secret although her voice was as loud as day. She was laughing about James 'goat' eyes, insisting it was a sign he was inhuman,  rather part demon like his shameful mother. He was no more than a cursed monster.

Ascella threw her knife straight through Catherine glass just as lifted it to her lips. Respect ran both ways and her temper had finally got the best of her. She was sick of playing nice with such nosey and cruel people. The glass shattered, pieces of glass and drops of lemonade flying everywhere. The dagger itself narrowly missed Catherine's shoulder, lodging itself into the wall instead. No one was hurt of course, Ascella had excellent aim. She would never purposely harm Catherine no matter how selfish and vile she was. Ascella only intended to scare the girl, she didn't think of the outlasting consciences, and yet she couldn't find it in herself to feel any regret at the incident.

Due to numerus similar incidents, the Valez children, partially Ascella, didn't have the best reputation in London, resulting in them becoming the center of gossip. The mystery behind their family along with their closeness to the Herondale family didn't not help to soften the whispers.

And so Ascella would often disappear into the music room soon after making an appearance at social gatherings, wasting her time away on her violin away from the hawkish eyes of others.

"I do recall attending a vampire frolic once. And some sort of party at Benedict Lightwood's house, before he got demon pox and turned into a worm, of course-"

"Mother!" Lucie said, scandalized.

"Well, he did turn into a worm," said James. "Really, more of a vicious, giant serpent. It was entirely one of the most interesting parts of history class." The Valez siblings shared a smirk. The story of Benedict Lightworm was one their uncle Will proudly recalled regularly and it was a story they never got sick of.

Tessa was saved from further comments by the arrival of the removers' vans carrying the Carstairs' belongings. Several large men leaped down from one of the vans and went to pull back the canvas covering the various furniture pieces, which had been fastidiously roped down.

"Please thank Cecily Lightwood for me, for the loan of her domestic help," Cordelia's mother spoke to Tessa.

"Oh, indeed! They will come on Tuesdays and Thursdays to do the rough, until you can find suitable servants of your own," Tessa replied.

"Mama!" Cordelia exclaimed. "You brought the piano?" Ascella's eyes caught sight of the large instrument on one of the vans.

Her mother shrugged. "I like a bit of music about." Ascella smiled. At least someone shared her love of music. "Cordelia, it's going to be messy and noisy. Perhaps if you and Lucie would go take a turn about the neighborhood? And Alastair, you stay here and help direct the servants."